Saturday, January 08, 2011

PICKLED and BRINED to last forever !


I guess you could call it “gallows humor” but my friend Karen and I got a big kick out of this sign we saw a few nights ago. It is a self-storage business that looks like all the others until you see it lit up at night ... then the AA jumps out at you ... or at least it does if you are an alcoholic and follow the AA program.

We had great fun imagining how this business could be used to our advantage. Self storage facilities lease space to individuals who store all sorts of items in them. What about old Uncle Joe who never seems to be able to stay sober? We could keep him off the street and out of his car if we stored him in one of these handy lockers along with his usual quart a day. He’d never know the difference and we’d be doing the town a favor.

We could also store our sordid past in an AA self-storage unit and label it “open when needed”. In AA we adhere to the notion that “we neither dwell on our past nor wish to forget it” but we want it to be available when needed. Often times it is the sharing of how we were then and how we are now that helps the newcomer relate and feel like they‘ve “come home“.

And, lastly, I think of the units that are accessed by opening a roll-up metal door, usually about the same size as a one-car garage. What a perfect spot to store that dented old car that reminds us of “the wreckage of our past”. We can visit it on occasion and be glad that those days are gone forever … that is, they will be if we just stay on the golden path known as SOBRIETY.

8 Comments:

Blogger KGMom said...

A sense of humor is ALWAYS a good thing.

10:19 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

What a clever post, Ginnie!! You are just full of good analogies today!

10:52 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

A fine post with some AA philosophy for everybody. Did you know that such storage units are a huge growth industry? Not AA -- in general, I mean.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Very imaginative, Ginnie. Clever posting for a sign. And also some good advice even for those not in AA.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

Some stuff to ponder here. I like the storage of Uncle Joe. But the crazy non-recovered relatives of alcoholics could have a space there too!

12:28 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

I could see the humor in this Ginnie, especially with old uncle Joe!
Love Di ♥

2:18 PM  
Blogger bc said...

bc said......

I agree Ginnie. I think it is good to have a place available to store my self occasionally. I passed that sign on our way back from the mountain where we'd taken the dogs today so it would be a quick trip for me to put my self in time out until I knew where to take me next. I was given a poem the other day:
The realm of the mind is mine, I can choose
I can choose where I want to be.
Both heaven and hell I know very well
The choice is up to me.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Dark humour is best shared with those who have been down that road with you.

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home