Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Iceman Cometh …


Many of you in "bloggerville" are expert photographers so you will probably laugh at my attempt here, but that being said…

I saw this delightful scene through my window three days ago and loved it. This is very unusual weather for our part of North Carolina and I wanted to share it with you. I tried to take the picture through the window and, of course, that was a disaster so I went outside and the result is the picture seen here.

The sun on the trees lit the ice that coated them and it felt like I had stumbled into a crystallized fairyland. It also made it very difficult to get a good shot since the picture I wanted faced directly into the sun. I was determined to get it however, since icicle trees and freezing temps are definitely not the norm around here and I wanted the charm of it documented.

I have tried very hard over the years to train myself to live in the moment so this was a perfect opportunity to practice that. I have to admit, however, that I was torn between enjoying the beauty of what Mother Nature had bestowed upon us and being annoyed because it was keeping me grounded.

The fact that it was all beyond my control finally dawned on me so I settled back and watched the ice melt away in it's own good time ... satisfied in knowing that the memory would stay with me forever.

11 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

I, like you, have to resign myself to being trapped at home when these ice storms come. Luckily they are few and far between. Crystal fairyland is an apt description, though, and I do love seeing it.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I generally find it pretty nice to hunker down on a snow day, but I know it can also throw a wrench into plans.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Your photo showed the ice just fine Ginnie! My Ginny was complaining because she wanted snow instead of the ice there. Love Di ♥

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christofur disagrees about being trapped. He took his german shepherd self and me to the woods at the end of the road and showed me how to run in a woods full of snow and still successfully discover the scent of deer prints. I on the other hand agree and walked very carefully on the sunny road mostly free of ice. But the part I most identify with is the beauty of the ice on the trees with a blue sky after perhaps God or somebody decided to turn on the lights!

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Alan G said...

That's a fine photograph Ginnie. The backlighting helps show the ice much better.

I must say however, better it be on the trees in your yard than the trees in my yard. We get some pretty nasty iceing events here in Arkansas from time to time.

Think it was back in 2000 when I lost power for almost two weeks after a really bad ice event and I live smack dab in the middle of a fairly large city. Fortunately I had a sister nearby who had not lost power.

It's a memory that will stay with me forever but not one I can frame with any measure of fondness or beauty. lol

4:47 AM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

It is amazing that whenever I try to capture something on camera "In the moment" it does not always work out :( I agree, let us enjoy the moment.. acknowledge that we won't see the same phenomenon again in this very place.. and move on..
I do love that image, and I am smiling thinking of you enjoying it too. xoxo

7:21 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

If your living in the moment means you were able to share this beautiful scene with everyone, then that is as it should be, Ginny. Thanks for sharing.

5:44 PM  
Blogger possum said...

AH, yes, those magic moments we get from time to time... True, they can be part of a great inconvenience - power outages and cold, but what beauty!
Great shot, Ginny.

5:52 AM  
Blogger ellen said...

I think your photo is beautiful. Well done!
Ice can be very scary and treacherous. Right now we are dripping with rain. Nothing new for the Pacific Northwest.
Have a wonderful week, Ginnie.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Very nice photo. We had a bit of the ice here as well. I am glad to say that today the temps were 60. I will take it! Tired of the damp and cold.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I just assume weather days that ground us are God's way of helping us to focus closer to ourselves.

Ice can be exquisitely beautiful but if it can be incredibly destructive.

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home