Wednesday, November 03, 2010

SCENES FROM NEW YORK CITY ...

As I mentioned in my last blog entry I was in New York City a few weeks back. My daughter, son-in-law and I stayed overnight with our friend Amy. She lives on the upper West Side and, after a good night’s sleep, it was a pleasure to wander down Riverside Drive to the Park overlooking the Hudson.





Despite the fact that Amy is 90 years old she follows this route almost daily. It is a refuge from the teeming city that lies just blocks below and there were many bicyclists and dog walkers out enjoying the morning air. We let Amy lead the way and eventually we wound up at 96th St., which is where we said our goodbyes.

Then we headed to a music store in Times Square and the atmosphere changed drastically.



Was Times Square always this gaudy? I guess it was but my memories of when I lived there paint it in a different light. I remember it as quaint rather than “over the top” but that’s probably not very accurate



This street band was just setting up as we passed by and we almost missed hearing them. We’d already crossed the street when they started to play; but their first notes drew us back. I can’t tell you what their nationality is but the music had a definite Latin beat to it. They were excellent and it was a real treat to have this free concert. My son-in-law liked them so much that he bought one of their CD’s.

Then we made our way to Grand Central to catch our train … just part of the crowd that passes that way daily … but to us it was special.

9 Comments:

Blogger Syd said...

It is quite the place. I like street bands.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Street bands must be thrilled when they sell records.

12:09 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Oh, sweet--the upper west side. That's where our daughter and (now) son-in-law lived while in Manhattan. So we got to explore some when we visited them.
I miss that.

5:05 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

I always enjoy walking the streets of NYC, although with mr. kenju's stroke, it seems I won't be doing that anymore (unless I push a wheel chair...lol)

8:59 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

TImes Square always seemed to be busting with activity even when I used to go to NYC in the 1970s to see Broadway shows. It is truly a city that never sleeps. Today I can imagine it is even more congrested.

4:09 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Mew York is full of lots of little surprises. Urban living does have its delights.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Caddie said...

Ginnie, my default refuses letting me send you email. Thus this comment here: please go see my rainbow I just now posted. Its amazing. Meanwhile, I need another ISP for CenturyLink techs only 'whisper' to me.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Hi Ginnie,
I've never been to New York. But it has always been on my list of places to see! Love Di ♥

6:00 AM  
Blogger Loretta said...

Hi...first time to visit. I came over from Sissys blog. I never thought I would want to visit New York. But, reading and seeing these pictures changed my mind.

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home