Sunday, November 07, 2010

My friend Michael, the BEE-KEEPER


Meet my friend Michael who lives on a large farm near me and who has taken up the hobby of raising bees and harvesting honey.

Michael is a sweet man with a sweet hobby and he was kind enough to share the experience with me. The first thing he did was to fill up his smoking device. Hopefully that helps to calm the bees and it seemed to work the day that I was there.



He said he’s been stung a few times but that’s to be expected and is a small price to pay for the enjoyment received.



You can see the bees swarming but they tend to stay pretty much in the one area. Not only does Michael keep bees but he’s planted extensive fields of alfalfa that they swarm to and pollinate. It amazes me that he has been able to do this on his own…but the flowering alfalfa proves that it can be done and he says that the honey is greatly enhanced by it.

This is strictly a hobby for Michael. He doesn’t sell the honey or expect to make it commercial. He’s just found it to be a serene and soothing pastime .

I thoroughly enjoyed the adventure and it wasn’t until I was driving home later that I remembered that I am very allergic to bee stings. I guess the powers that BEE were looking out for me!

7 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

I have always admired bee keepers. They are brave souls! Love Di ♥

5:51 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

I have experience with bees (that I'd rather not have had....LOL) and I have seen them respond to the smoking that bee keepers do to keep them calm. It is amazing what it does to them.

I just hope that don't come back to live in my house again!!

7:03 AM  
Blogger Caddie said...

The key is to be calm and smooth in your movements when around bees. Recently peeling apples, my hands were covered with yellow jackets; even one exploring my mouth !!!! but never stung.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

The powers that bee. Very good, Ginnie.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Finnie, this is a fascintating hobby. We have a friend who also raises bees and the honey is wonderful. Like your friend, he does not sell it commercially, but sells to friends. The honey is wonderful in baked goods and tea.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Bee keeping is important as bees are great pollinators. Honey is a great sweetne, a bonus for any farmer who also keeps bees.

If you are allergic, you should stay away from bees, my dear!

3:26 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

My wife and I watched the Secret Life of Bees, and there was a lot about beekeeping in that movie. The smoke calms the bees. Very interesting hobby.

4:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home