Friday, May 14, 2010

A reminder of the ANTEBELLUM SOUTH.


Doesn’t this look like something out of “Gone With The Wind” ?

It’s actually a homestead that I’ve passed over the last 30 years whenever I’ve headed south from North Carolina on Rt 500. I look forward to seeing it every time I take that trip; but, I’ve never actually stopped and photographed it until now.

A view from the side of the house shows the many out- buildings … some even attached to the main house, like they are in New England. I have no idea who lives here or if it’s changed hands over the years. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason why the house is situated where it is.



For starters there are no other homes or structures in the area that come anywhere near the elegance of this one. The property is situated on a corner and I pass many barren miles of cotton fields and poor, run-down barns and houses before getting here.

I have no idea if this is true but here’s what I imagine:

In the early 1800’s (the Antebellum era) this was the main house (complete with separate kitchen house and slave quarters) of a large plantation. All those acres of cotton fields that I passed were probably part of this estate. Horse-drawn carriages would travel well oiled dirt roads to approach the house.

And now we have all that’s left of that historic era…a very well maintained manor on a small piece of acreage. The white fence that encircles it is certainly a modern addition and seems to be saying: “no more encroaching. This is as far as it goes !”

7 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I think I share your conclusions. Great minds do think alike after all.

11:31 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

You are probably right about it, Ginnie. What a great-looking house.

We passed by your exit today, coming back home after my daughter's graduation from SHCC.

8:59 PM  
Blogger steveroni said...

Those who own old buildings and maintain them really perform a service to civilization...it is almost like an art form.

Thanks for these thoughts this night--and GOOD night, this is my last comment...until morning!

10:00 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

It is indeed beautiful and at least has remained and wasn't torn down. I hope that it continues to be appreciated. Thanks Ginnie for sharing this lovely place.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Chancy said...

I would love to know who lives there, how old the house is and some of the history of the house and the region.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

I could live in that there house for ever and ever Amen!

9:58 AM  
Blogger rfgrant said...

I love the look of the old south antebellum homes. Have you seen photos of Casa Reta in Davie, FL?

4:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home