Thursday, April 15, 2010

MEMORIES KEPT ALIVE ….



These lovely birds were hand stitched by my Mother when I was just 3 years old and I have no idea how my Mother could have found the time for this.

I was the youngest of FIVE girls and we had all been born in the time span of eight years. She must have been a whiz at organization or else she had help. I do seem to recall a young woman who came in once in awhile.

The other thing that I love about this cross-stitch “painting” is that it is inscribed with her name and the date … a leap year, no less. February 29th, 1935 .

My Mother loved birds and she could distinguish them by their chirps and trills even when they could not be seen. I’ve tried to do that but “Bob White” is about as far as I can go !

You will notice the little wooden red-headed woodpecker that I’ve fixed on top of the picture frame. This is another memory of note.

My Mother’s father was an avid wood tinkerer and I still remember the lathe that he had in his workroom. He would cut out these little birds and then add them to a piece of wood that simulated a tree branch. A string attached to the tail would make it a door knocker !

Many years after my grandfather’s death I attended an auction in Brattleboro, Vermont and was thrilled to acquire this little woodpecker that he had made.

The perfect place for him to perch was atop Mother’s other birds and there he remains.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mum's are amazing aren't they? Being able to organise time and still find time to do the little things. The cross stitch you mum did was by no means a small feat..it must have taken her much time to complete. I wonder what she thought of as she worked away on it? Perhaps she listened to the radio?
Cazzie

8:11 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Nice. Two treasures as one, or near enough.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Nice Ginnie. I think that is a treasure. And to find your grandfather's work at an auction--well, that was more than luck.

12:12 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

The little bird on top of the frame is a touch of whimsy that I like very much - and knowing that both pieces were made by relatives just makes them all the more sweet.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Lovely momemtos. Your mother was an accomplished birder if she could itentify birds by their calls. I once met a blind birdwatcher on a trail. He could identify many more birds than the rest of us as he did it all by their calls and songs. Most birds have more than one call which made his accomplishment even greater.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Well you know, mom needed a break from you! God bless her, she had creativity! Love Di ♥

7:02 PM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

My first visit, this is a great blog and I shall return I live in Western NY.

Dorothy from grammology
grammology.com

2:46 PM  
Blogger Chancy said...

What precious memories.

3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home