Wednesday, May 26, 2010

HOME VIDEO … Lost for almost 20 years !


This September will be 20 years since my husband Richard passed away. He was just 59years old.

He had presented me with a video camera two years before that and I had fun recording some of the exciting events that happened then … weddings of our oldest son and our daughter, a family reunion in Cape Cod and just about anything else that caught my fancy.

An especially poignant scene that I captured on film was stopping at the “Air Transport Command” restaurant on our way home from our son’s wedding in New York state. I blogged about it on 12/31/07. It wasn’t just the WWII setting and the music that touched me so deeply … it was to be the last time that he and I were able to have an evening out together. It was August 15 of 2000 and he died on Sept. 22nd.

Although I didn’t have much heart for Christmas that year I decided to make copies of the video material that I had taken that featured Dick . I had it spliced together on one tape and I sent them to my four sisters as gifts. I wanted him to live on in their sight as well as in their memories.

A few years back I decided to catalogue my tapes and, lo and behold, I couldn’t find my copy of that tape anywhere. All the pictures were lost forever and I was heartsick. When I visited my sister in Florida recently I mentioned it with the hope that they may have kept the copy I sent to them that Christmas.

They gently explained that they had made many moves in 20 years and it would be a miracle if that one tape showed up. My other sisters are in nursing homes so I gave up on the idea of asking them and decided to accept the fact of my loss.

Fast forward to last week’s mail. I couldn’t believe it when I opened the package and saw the long lost tape. My Florida sister is moving to a rest home in Cape Cod and, in the process of packing up their belongings, they came across it.

You can just imagine how happy this has made me and I even had a good laugh (amidst the tears) when I watched my daughter hamming it up as a sex-pot with her newly wedded husband in 1989 and heard him say, “watch what your saying…someone may be looking at this 20 years from now.” !!

11 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

P.S. Your husband was very handsome.
Love Di ♥

7:21 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Oh Ginnie I am so happy for you. Now you need to get it on a DVD! I did this for my son's wedding. We taped it and I borrowed the tape. They forgot who had it and thought that it was lost. Imagine the look on their faces when I gave them three copies of the DVD for Christmas. Plus, it was fun being sneaky!
Love Di ♥

7:21 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

How wonderful that this memory was found again after so many years. ENjoy your memories.

7:51 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Oh, Ginnie, what a wonderful tape to have and how great it is that your sister found it!! He was a nice-looking man, and I know you are thrilled.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

How wonderful for you - great how things lost can reappear. Enjoy your memories, Ginnie.

4:20 AM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Ginnie, this made me cry and made me happy because that is so amazing. Good things come to those who are seeking them, yet are patient.
Your husband certainly was a good looking man :)

7:20 AM  
Blogger steveroni said...

Agree! handsome man, and so young AND young-looking! Yet there is certain JOY in your post--an angel is standing near you and "taking care of things".

And that angel prompted you to send me the history of AA in Moore County for which I THANK YOU! Have not perused it yet...still getting used to being back home (we were gone for ONE full day and night!)

3:15 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I am so happy for you. I strongly suggest that you get it digitized because tapes do wear out.

6:02 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

That is so nice Ginnie. I'm glad that the memories were recorded and that you were able to get another copy. I'm sure that it will be treasured.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Chancy said...

Ah Ginnie

I got a good chuckle from your video story.

So sweet and heartfelt too.

the 20 year absence of the video probably made it that much more precious to you..

Richard was so handsome.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Smitty said...

Just so glad to stop by and meet someone my mom's age who has twenty years of sobriety in her life. So glad to soak up all the health and perspective you have to share, Ginnie. And we live in neighboring states, too.

My mom continues to function as a dry drunk and wreak havoc on a quiet husband, distant son and daughter. I am the vocal sassy daughter, but I am very tired of my role. All I want is happiness and peace, but I get blamed for her not having either.

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home