Thursday, February 25, 2010

SAY HELLO TO ANGLEE …


…or, at least, we THINK its Anglee. She’s one of two Black Cochins that my daughter and her husband brought South with them in December. The other gal is LeeAnn and they are dead ringers for each other. My daughter can tell them apart by their distinct characteristics but in a photo it’s near impossible.

Isn’t she gorgeous, regardless of name? And a bit haughty too I might add. She seems to be more than a little annoyed that this strange old lady is taking her picture. But, in reality, they are both very friendly. They love to strut their black, fluffy selves around the cage like royalty…clucking to their heart’s content.

We have two other chickens and they are very sweet also; but, they are the more usual varieties and much smaller. Plato is a Red Star and her sister Socrates is a Comet. They seem to like a good petting much more than the Cochins.

I did a little research on Cochins and found that they were imported to England and the United States in the 1800’s from China. It is said that Queen Victoria received a pair of them as a gift and that she became greatly enamored with the breed.

The interesting thing that I found was that all the descriptions of Cochins that I read said they laid brown eggs. Here is a picture of the ones I gathered today from LeeAnn and Anglee and they are definitely a soft, sage green on the outside with a Robin‘s egg blue lining inside. I wonder what that’s all about?? Do any of you farmers know?

13 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

I know nothing about them, except they are beautiful! I love the color of the eggs. I know 2 people who might be able to tell you about them, and I will send them your link, and maybe you'll get an answer.

Is Anglee named after the Asian film director?

6:27 AM  
Anonymous Angie said...

I am here via Judy's request.

I cannot see her feet very well, are they feathered? Cochins should have nice feathered feet and a good fluffy body feathering. I don't see that in your hen. With the green egg issue added I would have to say your sweet black hen is not a pure bred cochin. Somewhere along the way there is an easter egger in her genes. (Easter eggers are not pure bred either, they are mixed breed Araucana's /Ameraucana's at best which are even passed off by hatcheries as a pure breed which they are not.) That doesn't make her any less worthy not being a pure cochin. Mixed breeds are typically good layers. Enjoy her eggs. She is a pretty hen.

If you would like to raise cochins then look for a breeder with a good reputation and start with the best stock you can afford.

I breed blue Orpingtons. I love the full sassy big hens the breed produces.

7:35 AM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

Wow, good question. My Cochins lay brown eggs. My Araucauna's lay eggs in shades of pinkish white to green to blue-green. (They are also referred to as Easter Egg Chickens). Your pictures look like Cochin hens but your eggs look like Araucauna eggs. I would say you have cross breed hens.

Kenju sent me and I'm glad she did.

7:48 AM  
Blogger RoyalTLady said...

Its black shiny feathers certainly do not need any hair dresser's service...

8:53 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

I have no idea Ginnie, but I do know that I love watching chickens. I would love to have one for a pet!
Love Di

10:34 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Well well well--who knew there were so many hen experts reading your blog (or at least being sent here).

4:27 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I'm sure your the sweetest chick of the lot.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

Nice Ginnie. I have thought about having a few chickens here when I retire. But I don't know if my wife would be enamored with that idea.

4:22 AM  
Blogger Chancy said...

I love just thinking about those eggs. With a robin's egg blue inside. Wow How lovely

What do the eggs taste like? Any different from ordinary eggs?

Those sound like true "Easter Eggs" . :)

11:32 AM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

Thanks for all the great input. I have been researching Easter eggers and it's fascinating. My daughter & son-in-law were very interested in that too.
We get 4 eggs a day and they are much heavier than the eggs that I get from a store. They are very fresh and the yolks are more yellower ...very good eating.
And Syd...when you retire you might want to talk your wife into keeping chickens. I had no idea they were so easy to keep and I've found them to be great company.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I am glad that you got your answer about the hens. They are cross bred and not pure bred. Aren't we all? Cross bred vitality is a real thing and the reason many animals are cross bred.

If you are a feather fancier is
it is nice to raise rare breed birds that are not commercially prefered so that the breed does not go extinct and you may help to save their genetic gifts for some future cross breeding effort to create a variety with the best of their characteristics. Those who are hobbiest owners of livestock can help in this way to save the gene diversity for future generation.

2:23 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Beautiful eggs. Beautiful chickens. Do they eggs taste any different?

6:02 PM  
Blogger azahar said...

It all depends on where you are from. Chickens mean so many things to so many people.

When I was small I was always jealous of more fortunate neighbours who were very fond of enjoying grilled chicken in front of me. So much so that I made tghis personal vow: When I grew up, I will have chicken everyday!
Now, I am tired of chickens...

Then there was a village in Bangladesh that I visited in the 80's...the village was given a medal for rearing just twenty chickens! Why? Because the children will have eggs daily and this prevented them from going blind!

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home