Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A CHILLING SIGHT …


This is a vehicle that is parked on Rt. 1 in the town next to the one in which I live. I guess it is there to advertise the tattoo business but it never fails to give me a sick feeling whenever I see it.

The generation of today seems to have no idea how the use of the words GAS CHAMBER can send chills down the spine of anyone who experienced or has read about the horrors of the Hitler years.

Of course it brings to mind my good friend Amy who is 90 years old and a victim of the holocaust. This is what I wrote back in 2006 after a short visit with her.

“I could tell that Amy was agitated and she confided in me that a woman had approached her and asked if she would write down her remembrances of her years in a concentration camp. She had decided to do it and, when I asked her if it was cathartic, she answered with a very strong ‘NO, and it is tearing me up inside...but it must be done. Pretty soon there will be no one left to record the facts and it’s critical that we don’t forget.’

One of the memories that she shared with me that day was when she was forced into the bus that would take them to the camp. It was difficult to breathe because they were packed in so tight and the Nazi guard let them open the windows. They were still in a city and at one point the bus had to stop on a busy street. A girl suddenly flung her small infant out the window. Someone caught the child and before the Nazi could see what had happened the baby was gone from sight.

Of course she was crying by the time she’d finished her tale and the only response I had was to cry with her.”


Can things like this happen again? Are they happening? I strongly support a person’s right to express their beliefs or lack of them but I still find this vehicle to be offensive. Am I way off base or
does it offend you, too?

6 Comments:

Blogger Syd said...

There are neo Nazi groups around so your gut reaction is probably a good one. I don't see how anyone would want a return to those horrific days of genocide.

3:54 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Oh my--I wonder what the owner would say if someone asked--don't you understand the association of that label?
Wonder if the owner has neo-Nazi leanings, and doesn't care?
Yes, it bothers me too.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

In my opinion Ginnie, it is just pure ignorance. My fifteen year old daughter knows about the Holocaust and would know better than to be this tasteless. Like I said, ignorance.
Love Di

4:57 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It probably wouldn't have offended had you not reminded me. Because I tend to go around with my head in the clouds, I probably wouldn't have noticed. You're right though; it's so uncool.

5:15 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

No, you are not off base. It offends me too, but with today's laws, I suppose it is all in the interest of "freedom of speech". I am never going to have a tattoo, but I wouldn't patronize a business with a name like that anyway!

9:26 PM  
Blogger Chancy said...

I hate tattoos.

Gross

and the name of this 'business" is just plain filthy.

I agree that this may be evidence of Neo Nazi leanings.

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home