Thursday, January 28, 2010

THE BUZZARD’S ARE BACK …


Some of my long-time blog followers may remember when I first wrote about the buzzards that used to flock to the huge trees that rimmed my property. (“PROGRESS” defeats my TURKEY BUZZARDS” , Nov. 2007)

The trees were part of a 50 acre plot that was bought by a developer and the first thing he did was strip the land of lumber, leaving it bare and ugly. That was in 2007 and it ended my love affair with the buzzards. They simply disappeared from my property because they had no lofty branches to beckon them.

I missed them terribly because I always had the feeling that they were watching over me. As I mentioned before … “I loved to watch them leave their perches in the morning. They would slowly shake themselves awake and then, just as slowly, lift their huge wings and swoop on up and into the air. But they always circled back at least once, as if to say, “We’ll be back. Have a nice day.”

Imagine my delight when I went in to our little town this evening and saw them circling and landing on the water tower. Of course it’s not the same as having them within the distance of my house but at least I know that they are nearby.

I gave them a wave after I took the picture and, if I’m not mistaken, they remembered me. How do I know? They sent that lone buzzard out to dip his wings at me before he settled down with the rest !

8 Comments:

Blogger Syd said...

I find turkey vultures to be most interesting. They are remarkable and given a bad rap because of their carrion eating. But their eye sight is phenomenal.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

What a nice post. Buzzards? I think you're the first person I've met in a love affair with buzzards. They certainly serve a good purpose in nature, but it's those times they decide to throw up that keeps me some distance from them. Truly I am glad they're still in your area.

8:43 AM  
Blogger azahar said...

It is good that they came back. As for me, many of the birds that I was used to interact with when I was a kid was no longer here.

Birds like the cute white headed munias. Their shiny brown bodies and contrasting white head added spice to my life then.

Now, all I can see are a few solitary ones feeding on the love grass seeds by the roadsides.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

See them again must have given you quite a buzz.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Doris said...

Dear Ginnie: your comment on my blog (thank you)prompted me to look at yours and what a wonderful post about buzzards! Anyone who loves buzzards is a kindred spirit. May your life be filled with buzzards and Pileated woodpeckers (among others). :-)

5:25 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

I am sure that the wave was meant for you Ginnie! Love Di

6:50 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Turkey Vultures are wonderfully interesting birds. They invariable
show up when their is road kill or carrion to be had. They apparently can smell it up to five miles away.
They have a very useful place in the ecology.

They have a vey distinctive way of flying and sailing.

I am glady your nature friends are back.

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I worked as a naturalist for the Nature Center in Louisana we had a turkey buzzard that had completely bonded with humans because he'd grown up without buzzard role models. He was really friendly - we named him "Vlad" after Dracula. One of the highlights of my work day was walking by his cage and having him walk over and say hello (in buzzard of course)

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home