Tuesday, June 24, 2008

CHRISTMAS GIFT … 2000


My granddaughter was 11 when she made me the sweet little bread board that I picture here. It is still a prominent part of my kitchen. Every time she sees it she says, “Oh, Grandma, when are you going to get rid of that old thing?”

Now she is a gorgeous young lady, almost out of her teens, and I wonder when she will meet the man of her dreams. She’s very independent (much to my joy) and I’m sure it will be a bit yet. However the day will come when her children will gift her in the same way and she‘ll get that big “aha, now I get it“ moment.

There is something so special in each and every gift that our children present to us. I think it has to do with their ability to “operate outside of the box”. The imagination of a child is wondrous to behold.

I have another granddaughter who just turned six. She is a budding author. Her favorite thing is to create a story in both words and pictures. Her mind is so creative that it’s sometimes difficult to follow her logic, but that’s what makes it so enchanting. (Why can’t a hand fly into the sky, waving as it goes…and leaving a trail of little hearts ?)

I feel sorry for the people who are too fastidious to post a child’s “masterpiece” on their refrigerator. An acquaintance of mine actually told me that “it would upset my decorator”. !!

Can you believe that? My decorator (me) says, “bring it on”.

11 Comments:

Blogger Chancy said...

Such a sweet post. And I love the bread board and, like you, I would display it proudly forever.

My nine year old grand daughter was here with me today while her Mommy went to a luncheon. S has known for some time that I have an old oil paint box in the storage room. I painted some about 12 years ago. She has asked me several times to get the oils out and lo and behold today I did just that. I had one small canvas left and since my easel had broken we propped the canvas up on a stool and I taught her how to mix the paints and use a palette knife to make a simple oil painting.( A vase of flowers) She chose the subject and the colors.
Even though I had no mineral spirits in the house to clean up with, we made very little mess and it all washed off our hands, arms and legs with soap and water.

When her Mom came to pick her up she praised the painting and the texture (the palette knife effect)and said she should sign it. S just beamed.

Aren't grand children special:)

5:24 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

I'm with you, Ginnie. I never did put much stock in a decorator, anyway! I have small things all over the house, from either my kids or their kids. It warms my heart to see them!

7:19 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Aww--Ginnie--wonderful reports of two granddaughters.
Let me tell you--if (when) I have a grandchild, her art will be posted EVERYWHERE. Decorators--pah!

7:34 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Hang onto that thing. I suspect that she too will come to treasure it. Someday.

6:58 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

My mother saved my little hand print made in plaster of paris when I was in first grade. She saved a lot of my drawings, etc. It makes me feel good to go through those things.

8:33 AM  
Blogger possum said...

A friend of mine had her kids make a border of their hand prints just above the chair rail in the rec room in their new house many years ago. They put a protective coating on them to preserve them. Last week, the grandchildren made a new border under the chair rail and one of the littlest ones added some drawings of sunshine and rainbows when no one was looking. needless to say, that wall will be the same when the house eventually changes ownership, however long that might take.
I won't even mention the collection I have including art work from 38 years of teaching! Let somebody else throw it out when I am not around to care.

5:30 PM  
Blogger molly said...

aweeee - sweet!! my niece made us a picture before she left and i have it on my memories board right now. it has a house and 2 doggies and a hubby and a wife and um, not sure what some of the other things are but it is too sweet how they do! love it

6:50 PM  
Blogger Bud said...

Ginnie, All I get is golf balls--and then I lose them. Jeez

2:22 AM  
Blogger Rinkly Rimes said...

From Rinkly Rimes
Thank you so much for commenting on my Blog. I've only just had time to browse through yours and I'm enoying the literate yet cosy style. I was particularly drawn to the 'Amazon' picture. Would you mind if I tried my hand at a poem about it sometime?
Brenda Bryant

9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was such a sweet gift and my goodness, she did a great job for an 11 year old.
I totally agree....I have a manilla envelope for each grandchild and I've been saving all those pictures to Nana over the years. When they came off my fridge, they went into the envelope. Thought it would be cute to present them to them on their wedding day.
How great! As an author myself, I can only say, KEEP encouraging that granddaughter. Creativity DOES start at a very young age. It's in her soul.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

5:33 PM  
Blogger Bonnie Jacobs said...

Ginnie, I quoted you here:
http://bonniesbooks.blogspot.com/2008/07/flight-of-hooked-thumb-bird.html

Then I added my own creative fantasies. You should have seen me, leaned back in my computer chair, thumbs hooked together, watching a bird fly.

1:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home