Saturday, May 10, 2008

MY UNSPECTACULAR QUIRKS REVEALED


My Canadian friend AC, on his blog “Spring Raindrops”, threw out a challenge recently on his May 3rd entry. He listed “six unspectacular quirks” that he has and challenged his readers to do the same.

That darn challenge ate away at me and I found, much to my surprise, that this was a difficult thing for me to do. “My lord,” I thought, “my life must be either fraught with deep meaning or it’s all so unspectacular that I can’t separate a habit from a quirk”.

All that being said…here is the best I could do.

1. I only put $25 worth of gas in my tank at a time. It means going to the station more often but it fools me into feeling the pinch less.

2. When I can’t sleep I pick a letter of the alphabet and try to list as many names of people as I can think of starting with that letter...literally boring myself to sleep.

3. I guess I hum when I’m nervous. I don’t think so but my friends and family say I do !!

4. If I wake in the night and see that the time on the clock reads a combination of the same numbers (such as 11:11, or 4:44, etc.) I take that as a sign that I will get a happy surprise in the upcoming day.

5. I have often made an impulse buy (say, of $30) and decided on the way home to take it back. Then, after I’d received my $30 back I would praise myself for being frugal and saving that amount. (This used to baffle my late husband who could never seem to make me see that I was actually only back to where I’d been before I spent the $30 !)

6. Lastly, I’m addicted to that silly “Spider” card game on the computer. I would be ashamed to admit the amount of aimless hours wasted on that game.

11 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Great list. They are quirks but unspectacular.

6:27 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Good list, Ginnie, and a great photo!! It's better than the one in your sidebar!
#3. My son hums when he is filling his plate from a buffet....LOL
#4.Mr. kenju wakes at 2:21, and he takes it as a sign from Sherlock Holmes...also LOL
#5. I don't buy to begin with and then I congratulate myself.

8:04 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

Oh, and Happy Mother's Day!

8:05 AM  
Blogger Most of Martha Woodroof in one place said...

Hey you! I managed to find you by googling and I've bookmarked your blog! I have a real sense of accomplishment. Happy mother's day. I shall be attending as regularly as my demanding job permits! All best, M

8:22 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Thanks Ginnie for stopping by my blog. I appreciate your quirks. We all have them.

7:44 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Ginnie-this was great fun. Several of your quirks I sort of share--the clock numbers. . .I look to see relationships between the number--a fav 12:34.
I don't hum, I talk to myself, especially through chores.
I think your gas buying method isn't fooling you; it's probably helping you pace your gas buying, especially these days.

5:19 AM  
Blogger robin ann mcintosh said...

great list!! i'm linking to you on my blog tonight, hope you don't mind. be sure to check it out, if you've got time!

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

" ... the pinch" ! How would you like to pay $9.50 per gallon as we do here in the UK ? :-(

6:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You may actually be costing yoursel money by only buying $25 of gas. If you buy $40 worth at 3.59 per gallon, you won't have to buy it whenit goes up to 3.62 because you still have gas in your tank. You will have to buy it again and will have gone up but you won't have to pay for each increment. Also, make sure you have enough gas in the tank to cover the sensor for your gas gage. This is best done by keeping the tank on the full side. In other words, if you are going to just buy $25 at a time, do it when your tank is half full so that the sensor is always floatiing. If not, it can crystalize and stop working.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

Big John and Seventh Sister have convinced me that this is no laughing matter!! I will take heed from you both.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Scott W said...

I love seeing the numbers on the clock, but my favorite is 12:34. We used to say, as kids, that is something you don't see everyday. Then another would quip, yes you do, twice if you look.

BTW did you know if you hit the 'm' key during spider solitaire it shows you what moves are available?

Good to read you, I found you through Robin.

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home