Monday, May 05, 2008

PLUM ISLAND, Massachusetts……1937



My sister Nancy looks on as I balance a bottle on my head. I seem to be very proud of myself. I had to rely on my oldest sister, Mary, for the particulars surrounding this photo. I had heard family members speak of Plum Island over the years but I really don’t remember going there.

I was particularly interested because I couldn’t fathom how we would be able to afford the whole summer of 1937 on Plum Island. We had very little money then with 5 girls to clothe and feed...and we lived in New Jersey, nowhere near the shoreline of Massachusetts.

However, according to Mary, our Mother suffered from severe back pains and a friend of the family offered us his cottage on the island for the summer. We girls ranged in age from 4 ½ (that was me, the youngest) to 13 years, so we would be able to care for ourselves and enable Mother to get a well deserved rest.

Our get-away was spent in a tiny cottage named “Alice”. It was one of a group of compact little wooden structures and was directly on the beach. Although we had a rudimentary kitchen there were no bathroom facilities and our community of families shared an outside shower and an outhouse.

There was a small store, a run down board walk and an open-air building where we could play games, listen to music and work on jig saw puzzles. No TV’s, cell phones, or other distractions ... just lots of sun, sand and ocean.

As I gaze again at that picture I can’t help but chuckle at the silly little girl with the bottle on her head. Little did I know then that “putting the cork in the bottle” was to play a huge part in my later life. I certainly didn’t seem to be worried about it then !

12 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Time is a bit like the sand under your toes in that pictures. It slips away.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Chancy said...

Cute picture Ginnie. I had your same haircut as a child. I think they called it a "Buster Brown"

8:25 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

It;s a darling photo. I think I had a very similar suit in the early 40's - all wool and itchy!

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"No TV’s, cell phones, or other distractions ... just lots of sun, sand and ocean"... What more could you want ? ... Well, perhaps a bathroom would be nice. :-)

6:16 AM  
Blogger robin ann mcintosh said...

Ginnie,

I have DEFinitely been bombarded with Mickey comments. Who the heck IS that crazy loon??

Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

Robin

12:02 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

That is a darling picture Ginnie....! You were adorable!
Thanks so much for your visit and comment. And yes indeed, I am enjoying the fantastic letter that Bud posted....This is such a treasure trove, isn't it?

1:55 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

I love the bathing suit, Ginnie, and your picture brings back memories of my youth. There's one in particular I remember, I was sitting on a pier support at the ocean in a suit much like yours.

Thank you so much for standing by through my absences, I would miss you terribly if you weren't there, you are a good friend.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

I love the name of the Cottage, so lovely "Alice"

9:51 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

This is a cute picture. Island life is often so different than being on the mainland. I have been to Block Island, off Rhode island and Star Island, off Maine for summer experiences. I still love to do jigsaw puzzles while listening to radio dramas.

You made me smile for I have a picture of my fsther in the same style of bathing costume as you. it was on his honeymoon at Atlantic City. (People were more modest on the beach back then).

3:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love those little run down beach towns. We used to go to one on a lake in MO, but it has been taken over by Branson now.

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Plum Island..such a darling pic and nostalgic would make a nice collage! Denise Mass.

4:40 AM  
Blogger Crayons said...

Hi Ginnie,
Another wonderful post. That photo is just priceless. I love the swimsuit and the gestures. That summer sounds magical. I've never known a house named Alice. It's really great that you are recording these memories. They make so much more sense to me than any history book I ever read.

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home