Saturday, April 05, 2008

Rockwell’s dilemma … What to paint?


I love this self-portrait by Norman Rockwell. It shows that even the most prolific of artists will hit a stone wall once in a while. It depicts him approaching a deadline with no idea in mind and it became the Oct., 1938 cover of The Saturday Evening Post !

The painting reminds me of the “writer’s block” that seems to plague me more and more as I continue to blog.

I have been blogging since July of 2006 and I love it. As a lot of you know, my initial idea was to document my life’s journey in a series of short vignettes. These I would compile into a book for my three children at Christmas time. I had the hopes that it would provide them with a clearer picture of their mother, warts and all.

I was anxious to get the book finished and bound so I blogged very heavily for the first 5 months. This has proved to be a mistake, since I only have so many memories and I posted almost 100 of them in that short time. However, the book was finished and was a great success, so I am thankful for that. And, I do continue to conjure up memories. After all, I have over 75 years of them! But it gets harder and harder as the weeks go by.

Now I am lucky if I have a new (and, hopefully, interesting) memory once a week. But I don’t want to give up the blogging life. I love the people from all over the world who have become part of my life and who comment faithfully...I’m sure you know who you are! And I love to read your blogs too.

So here I am…and the dilemma continues. I want to keep the format the same and I guess I will persevere as long as I can. At the very least keeping those memories green is a great mental exercise and I can certainly use that !

7 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I enjoy your memories and they are indeed a treasure for the family. Not all memories have to be old ones, and you might extend the idea to thoughts you have about life. But I do know that it gets harder to come up with stuff. I have become much more banal than I used to be ... although I probably was always banal. :)

3:49 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Ginnie, yopu can repeat most of them and I probably won't remember that it's a repeat....LOL
I find myself blogging about something I already told about.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Bud said...

Ginnie, If it were not for you, and Judy and Naomi, I wouldn't have any readers at all!!. Thanks for your support. I will continue to struggle along.

2:26 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Ginnie--I think most of us bloggers who base our blogs on memories do hit that proverbial brick wall.
I find myself posting far less about personal memories, though they still creep in, and more about observations on current events.
And also it isn't bad to just pace yourself--slow down on blogging and fear not--your readers will still be here for you!

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why don't you keep your same format, but also add something new to the blog...in other words, find another topic/subject that interests you and every so often, write about that.
Whatever you do, don't stop writing!
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

5:31 PM  
Blogger Crayons said...

Hi Ginnie,
I have very much enjoyed reading your memories. A key to your blog is that not all memories deserve a post. You seem to pick the best and most "tell-able" ones.

I really loved changing the name of my blog. It gave me a new start and a new take on things.

Maybe you could start up a new one with a new theme and a new name.

PS: Thanks for your nice comment. You are one of the few members of my community who have seen me go forward since 2006.

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'dilemma ' You will soon get over it.
I've often sat down to write my final post, but I'm still at it. :-)

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home