Sunday, February 24, 2008

“THE BOOK THIEF”… an amazing read


This is one of those wonderful books that I couldn’t bear to put down. I’m sure I must have done the usual house-keeping things in between chapters but I don’t remember doing them.

“The Book Thief” takes place in a small town outside of Munich, Germany around the time that Hitler was becoming a force. The story is narrated by “Death”, a collector of souls and a lovable character...as strange as that may seem.

As a matter of fact, the whole story is very strange and compelling and I will leave it at that. I hope I have whetted your appetite enough that you will give it a try. I enjoyed it so much that I was anxious to find out if the author, Markus Zusak, had written anything else. I did some research and found that he is from Australia and has written four novels for young adults.



In 2006 he received the Children’s Book Council of Australia’s Book of the Year Award for “I Am The Messenger”. Even though it was considered a “Young Adult” book I read it and was, once again, captivated. I couldn’t believe that someone so young could write with such compassion and authority.

I seldom write to authors but I found the address of his publisher in Australia and I sent a laudatory e-mail to him. That was a few weeks back and I was thrilled to receive this wonderful answer.

Dear Virginia,
Thank you so much for your kind message about The Book Thief and I am the Messenger. I just received it through my publisher and I am very grateful. The Book Thief, especially, means everything to me, and the fact that my writing has also meant something to you is something that can never be taken for granted. You write and think no-one will read it, let alone be compelled to write to you about it.
Thank you again. You’ve made my day!
All my best,
Markus


Isn’t that a nice note? I hope he will retain his down-to-earth warmth and humility as he continues to age. I have the feeling that he will become a household name in the not too distant future and I’m so glad that I made contact with him at this time.

8 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Well, that was sure something to write to us about!!! Neat.

11:41 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

How nice that he wrote you back! Keep that note, Ginnie, and it will be worth something someday!

10:29 PM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

Yes, I will keep the email...but, it's not the same as getting a hand-written autograph. My mother had a book full of autographs from people that she admired.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Crayons said...

Hi Ginnie,

I'm visiting after a very busy moth or so in which I was away from BlogLand.

The book sounds like a good read. I love the fact that you wrote, and that he wrote back.

11:33 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

It's great that you wrote to him--and wonderful that he responded. All authors need and love readers.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Melly` said...

Well - ok... adding them to my must read list and searches in ebay.

3:58 AM  
Blogger Bud said...

Ginnie, found 12 copies for sale on Ebay for anyone interested. thanks, Bud

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a very nice note and from the heart. Him just taking the time to reply to you says a lot about him both as a person and an author.
I've jotted down his name so I can get his book when time permits. My own writing and my "to be read" stack is on overload at the moment. Thanks for sharing this.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

5:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home