Tuesday, March 11, 2008

PAPA LEE’S Typewriter…1942


When I was nine years old my sister Peggy and I spent a month with our grandparents in Plainfield, New Jersey. We had traveled by train from Boston and it was a grand adventure for both of us.

My Grandfather (Papa) was a writer and I often sat with him in the evenings and on the weekends when he wrote in his little office on the 2nd floor. It was crowded with papers and books and all sorts of fascinating office paraphernalia and smelled of his pipe tobacco. I loved it.

It was especially exciting when Papa would allow me to peck away on his old typewriter. I had visions of writing “the” book of the century but in all actuality most of it came out like this:

CLICK ON THE LETTER AND YOU WILL BE ABLE TO READ WHAT I WROTE.

7 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

There was an old Underwood in our house. I think my mother held onto it for quite a while. I'm not quite sure when it departed from the household.

2:30 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

I got my first typewriter in 1946, a gift from an old gentleman who lived down the street and was friends with my parents. I loved typing on it and I used it all through high school and college.

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was too cute and I also used to love typewriters. I remember the first toy one my parents got me around 1955 or so and ALL that ink that ended up on my hands.
How neat that you saved this letter.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

4:56 PM  
Blogger Crayons said...

Ginnie,
I love the sound of a manual typewriter. I feel sorry for kids now who will not hear that fluttering sound. You sound like a really earnest little girl.

1:32 PM  
Blogger ellen said...

Oh, I can't tell you how much I love this! Your letter is beyond a price. That sounds better to me than "priceless". I love your eagerness, sense of wonder and your love of your family that comes through after all these years.
Do you suppose that parents of today ever get letters actually written on a piece of paper that they can save and treasure?
Have a wonderful weekend.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Bud said...

Ginnie, I agree with Ellen. I am amazed with the stuff that you come up with. Beautiful story.

2:00 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

That is a charming letter Ginnie....How GREAT that you still have it. I loved reading it in the "original" after I clicked on it to make it BIG!
I LOVED the desciption of your Grandpa's office/room.....I feel like I could just see it!

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home