Thursday, April 10, 2008

“DAM FINE WINE” … found at Trader Joe’s



Now, what’s a nice girl like me, with almost 19 years of sobriety, doing in the wine section of the fabulous Trader Joe’s store in Raleigh, North Carolina…thrilled to be clutching a bottle of Coastal brand merlot? Well, let me explain:

Two years ago I spent 5 days with my sister Barbara in Templeton, California. She had just moved to her lovely new house. It is built on a section of land that her son Niels owns and is part of his large winery, Castoro Cellars.

Niels has fondly been known as Beaver since childhood and it’s why the Castoro Cellars logo proudly displays a beaver and the words “dam fine wine”. Judging by the success of his business I would guess that logo to be accurate.

While there I was treated to a complete walk-through of their operations and at one point we watched as workers attached labels to the bottles rotating past on a conveyor belt. These, Beaver explained, were the wines that were sold at the Trader Joe stores nationwide. Then he snatched one of the bottles from the belt, wrote “stolen from the bottling line” in large indelible silver letters and handed it to me as a gift.

Needless to say I have never opened it, although I still display it in my kitchen for fun…and often tell the tale of how I “stole” it.

Now it is two years later and I am checking out to see if his wine is still being sold under the Trader Joe label. It is and, as I’m reading the back of the bottle a man catches my attention. “You look like you know your wines”, he says, “That’s from the West Coast isn’t it...is it a good buy?”

Hoping he can’t see the twinkle in my eye, I reply…”I can honestly say that it’s the best bargain I’ve ever found...on either coast.”

8 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Great anecdote, Ginnie.

2:46 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

You mean you were THAT close to me and didn't let me know? Shame on you!

I made my 2nd trip to Trader Joe's about 2 weeks ago. Around here, the wine to have is what they called two-buck chuck until the price went to $2.99. It is Trader Joe's Charles Shaw and my neighbors buy it by the case!

7:01 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

We have a local wine distillery, "Apple Joe's."

In reference to your previous post about blog block, even if you post less often, I hope you never stop, I love reading the memories of your life. You've met so many people, been so many places and done so much that it's always a fascinating journey.

9:19 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Ginnie--I confess I did gulp when I saw the photo. Thanks for relieving my fears--I spent too many years working with impaired physicians when I worked for our state medical association to take sobriety lightly. You are to be congratulated for your courage--and for keeping on keeping on.
And thanks for a fun and interesting post!

1:25 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Bargain is my favourite word :-P

1:16 AM  
Blogger Crayons said...

This is a fun story that illustrates the power of objects to hold elaborate memories.

PS: I celebrate your wisdom in maintaining your sobriety. You inspire me.

1:38 AM  
Blogger Bud said...

Ginnie, Every time I chose to have just one glass of wine I would end up in Pittsburgh. I don't know anyone there.

4:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story....lol
That was really clever with the play on words, "dam fine wine." I love visiting vineyards and wineries.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

6:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home