Monday, October 01, 2007

WHY ?? ...Do I BLOG ?


14 months ago I didn’t know the meaning of the word. My interest was piqued when I read an article in the AARP magazine stating that so few seniors took advantage of this line of communication. I had heard the word, BLOG, of course but I figured it was just another part of the vast internet world that would forever elude me.

The amusing thing, to me, is that in my day we would have simply called it what it is...a Web Log. (Then I would have understood it !) But the shortened version is here to stay and reminds me, once again, to get on the “computer-age bandwagon” or be left behind.

But, back to the question, “Why do I blog?” I have tried journaling (recording my daily thoughts and feelings), keeping a diary and even submitting articles for publication…all to no avail. Each of these outlets left me strangely unfulfilled.

Blogging, however, is the perfect medium for me and I love it. I have often wished that I could have known my parents as children and young adults. What were their dreams and accomplishments? Did they overcome adversity? Did they seize opportunities or let them slip by? Who were they?...and how did they influence my life?

“Goldendaze-ginnie” was, first and foremost, my attempt to answer these questions for my own children...but it has become much more. I realized, as I wrote, that I had overcome some pretty rough spots along my life’s journey...a husband’s chronic illness and the disease of alcoholism...and I felt compelled to share these experiences.

It’s fun to get comments and to realize that there are people all over the world who can relate to what I’ve written but that is like the icing on the cake. I have no idea how many people actually DO read my blog, but it really doesn’t matter. If I’ve carried the message of hope to just one other reader it will be worthwhile.

Why do I blog? Because it is my way to record the emotions and events of my 74 years on earth...a journey of self discovery. I find that each article that I write prompts me to remember still more...a great taxing of the mind. It is an exhilarating memory experience and I am so thankful that it is available to me.

14 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

Amen! Me too. I decided it was a good way to leave a record of who I am and what I think for my children and grandchildren to read if they are interested. As of now, they are not (or they say they aren't)...LOL

5:36 PM  
Blogger Chancy said...

Ginnie
I for one am awfully glad you did decide to blog. You express yourself like a pro but with a genuine touch of humility that makes me keep coming back for more.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Bud said...

Ginny, you have certainly given me a lesson in humility. You are very special lady as all of us in the program well know.

2:14 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I can't seem to keep a journal either, but having a blog has worked for me. After a few years of it, I seem to have less to say, and I sometimes think to pack it in completely, but I haven't been able to let go yet.

5:53 AM  
Blogger Mortart said...

I've tried to explain the satisfaction of blogging to friends unfamiliar with this phenomenon. But you have expressed it far more eloquently.

2:30 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Ginnie--
well said, well explained.
My son said he reads my blog to understand me--sweet!

7:19 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Well said and that is the basic reason I blog - as a journal for me, for my offspring and for their off spring. I so regret not writing down more about the lives of my Mom and Dad before they passed away. Someday, through my writings, my 'grands' and even greatgrands may get to know a little about me. They just think I am silly now but will know for sure after reading my words. :) ec

8:46 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

It's a journey we are so glad you are sharing with us, I always look forward to the times of your life.

2:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blogging is indeed a very unique phenomena. We get to say what we're feeling, share photos and sometimes "meet" some pretty amazing people that we wouldn't normally have a chance to meet.
Like you, at first I had no clue what the definition meant. But once I found out....there's been no stopping me for 2 1/2 years.
And what a treat to actually get to meet you in person. Just another perk to blogging.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

I am so glad you decided to blog, or we would not have met and I would not know some of the things I know about the World :)

3:13 PM  
Blogger cat59 said...

Ginny,

This is my first visit to your blog after reading a comment on Anvilcloud's blog that piqued my interest. As someone else stated, you have explained well the appeal of blogging. Will what we write be available for future generations? Are we assuming that this place in cyberspace will always exist, or do you print the pages of your blog to save for future generations?

6:43 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Me too, me too! I have been blogging for a year, this month, and although I do keep a journal, I find that this is a more consistent and frequent record of my days. With pictures!

9:11 AM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

I am very happy that you blog, Ginnie. Your stories are always fascinating and I marvel at the life you lead. Thank you!

11:36 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Exactly! You said it right. My blog is my journal. (I had no idea what a "blog" was until my oldest son got me started about 2 years ago). But it seems to work a lot better than pencil and paper! I have four blogs now: the main journal, a personal history, one where I keep my poetry, and one another started that is a private one for the whole family!

I've enjoyed looking around yours! What a great idea this was, and I don't even know who to thank....

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home