Monday, September 10, 2007

My type of B&B……BLUEBERRY HILL FARM,* Maine


In August of 2002 I treated myself to 3 days in this lovely B&B near Damariscotta Lake in Maine. From the moment I turned into their driveway I felt like I was in a Grandma Moses tableau. The small farmhouse, circa 1780, connected to a large addition which, in turn, connected to a barn complex. It is architecturally pleasing to the eye and greatly expands the living quarters.

My host and hostess, Ellis and Jo-Ann, are a hard-working couple who devote many hours (besides the B& B) to their organic gardens & to their other business… processing and packaging specialty foods under the label “Spruce Bush Farm”. I became intrigued with Dilly Beans and Pickled Fiddleheads...just two of their many products that I planned to take home as gifts.

My little room was in the original farmhouse section and adjacent to a lovely living room/library filled with antiques and books. One of these books was especially intriguing. In it were testimonials and letters stating sightings of a ghost on the property.

When I mentioned this to Ellis he told me of his own personal experience concerning the ghost. He was in the kitchen with his brother who suddenly remarked , “Who is that lady? I didn’t think you had any guests now”. When questioned further his brother described seeing a lady, dressed exactly as she would have been in the 18th century, walking across the living room of the old section of the house.

Since I’ve always been fascinated with the concept of ghosts, rather than being scared by it, and since this area was right outside of my bedroom, I tried hard to conger up a sighting during my three day stay, but to no avail. The bed was very comfortable and I guess the ghost knew I needed the sleep !

Every morning I woke to the smell of fresh baking. Jo-Ann would add Maine’s famous wild blueberries to her “baked-from-scratch” scones or scramble up some farm fresh eggs. It was the perfect way to start my day.

Those three days passed too quickly but I will always remember my “Grandma Moses” sojourn and perhaps I’ll get back there one day. I hope so.

*(Ellis and Jo-Ann are members of the Maine Farm Vacation B&B Association. This is not an advertisement for their place but an honest testimonial of my stay. It was picturesque, very clean and extremely affordable.)

11 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

This sounds like an extra special B&B.

7:40 AM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

It sounds heavenly.

8:31 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

The photo of it is charming. We visited friends in New Bern 3-4 years ago. They live in a Victorian house that has been known for ghost sightings. Mr. kenju tried to play a trick on me and make me think a ghost had been in our bedroom, but I caught him at it.....LOL

1:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I work on call at a hotel that was built in 1886. I have heard about a lot of disembodied spirits there and have had some bizzare expereinces.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Bud said...

Im on my way!!

2:07 AM  
Blogger Ginger said...

Sounds wonderful, wish I could go right now.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

I want to live there, what a lovely place, thanks Ginnie, a lovely post as usual :)

12:43 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

I have heard of this lovely place, a good friend's son lives in the area.

Too bad you missed the ghost, how interesting that would have been.

In answer to your question, the area you're going to in Vermont is about 70 miles from where I live.

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooh, MY kind of place, Ginnie! AND complete with ghost? I also find them very fascinating.
I've also stayed in places that had them...but like you, unfortunately, I've never seen one.
This does look like a very nice place to stay, but I have no plans to visit Maine in the near future.
Thanks for sharing it though. I enjoyed the story.

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading of this most fascinating place. I remember Louis Armstrong's song. "I found my thrill...on Blueberry Hill."

Sarah

8:55 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

I wonder if it is the Blueberry Hill described in Robert McCloskey's picture book "Blueberries For Sal."

Here's a modern ghost story: About 20 years ago, there was a devastating tornado in a small town about 25 miles from my home. My mom had a friend who lived there, and their home collapsed, pinning her husband Rick under a beam, where he died.

Now, earlier that evening they had been visiting a brother some distance away, but they had driven home before the storm so nobody knew that they were in danger. The brother got up during the night and went to the kitchen for a glass of water. He turned around and Rick was standing in the kitchen. He was surprised and said, "Rick, what are you doing back here?" to which he replied, "Carol and the kids are in trouble. You have to go help them." And then he walked out. (I have goosebumps as I write this.)

So the brother got in the car and drove to their house -- the first one to arrive and find them.

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home