Monday, August 20, 2007

The MERV GRIFFIN I knew……..1958


The legendary entertainer and entrepreneur Merv Griffin has died. (July 6, 1925 - August 12, 2007). I’ve followed his career for many years and couldn’t help but remember the short time that he crossed my path.

In 1958 I was working for WABC Radio in New York City. It was an exciting and exhilarating time for me but it was a very shaky time for the radio industry. The stations were losing audiences by the droves, as TV was just cresting over the horizon.

WABC was making a last ditch stand with their promotion, “Live and Lively Radio”. My job was to write promotional material aimed at selling time on these live shows. We had the “Don McNeill’s Breakfast Club”, out of Chicago and the NY based “Jim Reeves Show”, which was music and not much talk, and a prime-time game show called “Keep Talking”, starring the young and up-coming Merv Griffin.

Our studios were on West 86th Street and I was in a constant state of turmoil. I was either writing a proposal, presenting one of re-doing it. (This was where I learned that it is possible to manipulate facts and figures to say what you want...by inference, leaving things out, etc., and I‘ve never trusted advertising since then.)

I never actually met Merv but I was in his presence quite a few times. It was part of my job to evaluate the shows and then to be “inspired” to write a winning proposal. Merv certainly exuded charisma, both off and on the air but I never would have guessed that he’d become one of the most successful business men in the world.

I knew that he was a great ladies man and one night I spied him in the same restaurant where I was. He was squiring an older woman who was literally dripping in jewels. Their conversation was anything but private since it became louder and louder with each drink they consumed. At one point it looked as if they were both going to end up under the table but they managed to stagger out before that happened.

Merv was still pretty heavy at that time and it was just a short time later that he decided to “clean up his act”. He lost a lot of weight and either quit or cut way back on his drinking. I guess he knew that TV was in his future and he was right. When NBC TV came out with color it was the end of the live radio era as I’d known it...and the beginning of the “newly invented” Merv Griffin.

“The Merv Griffin TV Show” was a huge success and “Jeopardy” and “Wheel of Fortune” are just two of the many legacies that he left for us to enjoy. I’m glad that Merv’s many talents didn’t go to waste and that he lived a long and full life.

8 Comments:

Blogger Chancy said...

Ginnie

My husband and I were fortunate enough to meet Merv Griffin at the Newport Jazz Festival held on the White House lawn when Jimmy Carter was president.

I had several glasses of wine and it was hot outside. So emboldened, I walked up to Merv Griffin and said "Well. Hello there, Mike Douglas"

He threw his head back and laughed and then pulled on his hair and said: (he had all his hair and Mike Douglas wore a toupee)

"I am NOT Mike Douglas. And I am not Merv Griffin either"

He was so gracious about my faux pas and my husband and I had a nice short chat with him.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

Chancy; That's a great rememberance. I love it when a memory of mine triggers one with a reader. Thanks.

5:51 PM  
Blogger Bud said...

You bring back wonderful memories. I was in New York in 1958, working for NBC radio at the time, and living just
10 blocks from where you worked.

4:00 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

Your paths have crossed so many interesting people, Ginnie! I can claim to have met only Dave Garroway and Paul Anka.....LOL

12:04 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Yet another celebrity, Ginnie. The list of celebrities whose paths you have crossed grows ever longer, how exciting.

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy..he was young in that photo! I always liked Merv Griffin and watched his show all the time. But I think he had a good life.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Amen to Merv

1:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's interesting to note the number of times that you mention American entertainers and other personalities from the past who are unknown in Britain, unlike now when we are 'bombarded' with US 'celebs' and entertainers via TV. The only US entertainers I remember seeing on UK TV in the 1950's were Phil Silvers and Lucille Ball.

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home