Friday, August 03, 2007

Welcoming Guests with Cross-stitched signs


My good friend Bud faithfully reads my blogs. He emailed me recently to say that my poem entitled “Peddling Posies at the Pennsy Pavilion” had triggered his memory about a message that his mother cross-stitched and had framed and displayed in their guest bedroom. It was signed with her name and dated 1938.

“GUESTS …we warn you every night
We must dine by candlelight.

Table cloths that are worn…
Sheets and pillows tattered, torn.

And we are blessed with little boys
Whose chief delight is making noise.

WELCOME…but we press the point,
Things ain’t poifect in this joint”.

Isn’t that wonderful? Thanks, Bud.

Of course it conjures up all sorts of images of framed samplers that I have seen over the years. There is the ubiquitous “Home Sweet Home” and any number of witty, religious or sacrilegious sayings.

But my favorite message, along these lines, is one that I saw posted on the living room wall of my friend Denise’s retreat in Fancy Gap, Virginia. It is very simple and only two lines...but as far as welcoming guests, I think it says it all.

BED and BREAKFAST.
You make both.

9 Comments:

Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

I love those two lines...I might get it tatooed on my forehead :)

11:51 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Oh, my! You have just given me the new wall decor for my guest room!! I don't do cross stitch, but I used to do lots of crewel embroidery - and I could do that one easily! That's priceless!

5:56 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I had never thought of them as a way to send housekeeping messages.

6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! A plague in my mother's kitchen said: Come in, sit down, relax, converse. Our house doesn't always look like this. Sometimes it's even worse.

8:39 PM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

I absolutely love the last two lines.

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE it....lol And I'd love to get one of those signs for my rental house.
I used to do a lot of counted cross stitch and have a few samplers matted and framed on my walls. Always loved those.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

I think the sampler is the perfect welcome. It puts everybody at ease with a little humor.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Melly` said...

Oh - if only I could sew! Bed and breakfast - you make both - exactly for me. You are welcome to stay... find yourself a bed and help with breakfast!

5:10 AM  
Blogger Maya's Granny said...

Ginnie,
Thanks for letting me know right away.

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home