Thursday, September 27, 2007

TRISTAN & CHARLIE


Don’t you just love the way little children take everything on face value? It’s either, “Hi, there...I like you” or it’s “you’re not my type and I’ll find someone else”. There doesn’t seem to be much in between those two ends...whereas we grownups have to make all sorts of inquiries and judgment calls before we let down our defenses and take on a new friend.

This was very clear one night recently when my 3 yr old Great Grandson Tristan (in the orange shirt) met my friend Leslie’s Grandson Charlie for the first time. There was an immediate rapport between the two little guys and they spent a good hour mimicking each other’s moves and facial expressions.

Leslie and I and their mothers had met at our local Burger King. Not a gourmet meal, that’s for sure, but the ambiance was perfect. They had the jungle gym to play on and a “Kid’s Meal” complete with a little stuffed tiger.

I couldn’t believe the energy that both boys displayed. It’s been many a year since I had children of my own that age and I could barely keep up. But it was a treat just to watch their antics. They seemed to play off each other and whenever one or the other would take on something new the other one would copy it to a “T”.

I hope this is the first of many times that Tristan and Charlie will get together. The expression “two peas in a pod” comes to mind and I was touched by the way that they took such joy in each other.

As I watched them at play I was overawed by their innocence. Their young minds were not clogged with racism, prejudice or hatred...all the things that they will hear about soon enough from this cynical world. I wished they could stay 3 years old forever, but then I realized that was just a dream.

They will grow older day by day and it will be up to us, their families, to offset the negative lessons of the world. A huge order, that’s for sure, but not impossible...and just imagine the kinder, simpler world that it could produce !

8 Comments:

Blogger Bud said...

Nice story, well done Ginny. Two peas in a pod--where have I heard that before?

1:17 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Sounds like you and they had a neato time.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

I love the innocence of children. Our family is working hard to help my grandchildren preserve their innocence for as long as they can, hoping to keep as much of the ugliness of the world at bay as possible. And hoping, too, that when the dark side of human nature touches them they will have learned what they need to handle it and move on unscathed.

2:04 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Ginnie, that peas in a pod thing happens with big boys too! I saw it is person when mr. kenju was in the hospital, and he and his roommate (The Cornflake King) bonded immediately. They have spoken on the phone at least 3 times since they both got home and we have plans to visit with them at the holidays.

7:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that's why I adore being in the company of children. They give off this positive energy and unlike adults, they're always honest. They are who they ARE....because they haven't yet learned to be otherwise. I agree...such a shame we can't hold on to that wonderful quality. Although, I have to say, I've met a fair amount of adults who have managed to maintain their "child-like" energy and insight and yes, they're a joy to be around.
Oh...I couldn't see the photo! Only a red X there.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Mortart said...

You are a very young-looking great-grandmother.

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucky little boy to have such a 'great' great grandmother.

'a “Kid’s Meal” complete with a little stuffed tiger'. What was the stuffing ? Sage and onions or maybe chestnuts ? :-)

8:41 AM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Aren;t they gorgeous :)

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home