Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Ubiquitous CELL PHONE…A plea for etiquette!


In this digital world of ours the cell phone is here to stay...and rightly so. I have used mine to advantage many a time. I have a very inexpensive Tracfone. It is a nationwide prepaid wireless phone and I buy about 60 units of calling time every three months. The cost is approximately $8 per month and I can choose to cancel anytime that I want to.

I bought the attachment that connects my cell phone to the car and that is where I keep it most of the time. Very few people have access to my number because I only use it for emergencies...or for the occasional time that I am not near a phone and need to contact someone. This is how it works for me and I know that I am in the minority.

My son and his daughter both have very elaborate, extra-slim cell phones that do just about everything but pick up the weekly garbage. (Hers is actually pink!) He is in business for himself and his phone is his life-line...so I can understand the need there.

The thing that annoys me about cell phones is that they encroach on my privacy. I really do not want to hear someone’s life story when I am trying to concentrate on what to buy for dinner...or trying to enjoy dinner out, for that matter. When I was in Italy I would have sworn that every Italian male seemed to carry a cell phone. We used to joke that they were probably calling Mama to ask what to order for dinner!

I will never forget the time that I was stuck in an airport for hours waiting for the weather to change. A sloppy twenty-something male slouched down next to me and proceeded to phone a buddy. He then spent the next hour describing in great detail every female under the age of 50 that passed by his sight. They were having a great laugh over this and when he saw my look of disgust he said, “Hey, lady...you don’t have to listen”.

But that’s just the point...how can we NOT listen? I really resent this intrusion and hope that someday there will be a cell phone revolution. Those of us who still treasure privacy will rise up and, at the very least, conduct courses in cell phone etiquette. The plan to restrict the use of phones while driving is gaining momentum and is actually enacted into law in some States. So, maybe there is hope after all.

13 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

I'm with you, Ginnie, there has to be a happy medium. I'm not interested in hearing the details of what's going on in everyone's life either, it's getting way too noisy out there.

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, add me to the list of protesters, Ginnie.
I remember the purchase of my first cell phone...I was a home health RN and it made sense to have one for emergency purposes while out on the road. It did come in handy to verify an address of a patient,etc.
But like you...that's the only time I use them....when absolutely necessary. I'm astounded at how they're constantly used by people while shopping, driving, dining, you-name-it. And like you....HOW can we NOT hear their conversations? They act like they're calling China and MUST yell. I've yet to hear anybody speak softly when using one. Grrrrr!

2:21 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

I agree that cell phones threaten to take over our lives.
With students--I say, no cell phones in class. Make that--NO cell phones. And I call them out if they start texting--the latest abuse!

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ginny, my pet peeve is watching these
young guys talk on the phone while they are on the golf course. I guess its some kind of a status thing.

3:31 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It's a weird and abused phenomenon to be sure.

5:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I call them 'Nokia zombies'. One stepped in front of my car only this morning. Good job I wasn't using my one at the time. BTW using a cell phone when driving is illegal here in the UK.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Chancy said...

I wish using a cell while driving was illegal here in the US. I am constantly amazed at the "soccer moms" driving a huge SUV making a sharp turn into heavy traffic while talking on their cell phone.

Danger!

10:18 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

I agree, Ginnie. I have to remember to quiet down when I am on my cell phone. Being hard of hearing, I tend to talk too loudly everywhere. I also found out recently that I have my cell phone volume earpiece so loud that others can hear every word my callers say too. I try to get away from people when I am on mine...LOL

11:47 AM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

That person does not posess manners or respect, and I am with you all the way.

11:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like having a cell-phone, it's convenient, but you're right about the lack of etiquette! Sitting on the bus, or on the train, you get to hear about people's life! That's unacceptable.

12:31 AM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

Right on!

9:09 PM  
Blogger Maya's Granny said...

Do you remember being in middle school and talking loudly in public to show off how cool you were? That is what I think is happening with a good deal of cell phone users. No one would mind if they were soft spoken, but then no one would know how important they are.

5:02 AM  
Blogger Namenlosen Trinker said...

I'm not so hopeful. I don't want the guvmint legislating unnecessarily (laws against driving while phoning are needed I think) and I don't have enough faith in human willingness to practice good etiquette to think that will work either. I think we have to continue using looks of disgust.

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home