Friday, August 24, 2007

“FANTASIA” Re-visited . . . 66 years later



In 1941 I was living in New Jersey and my oldest sister treated me to a day in the “Big Apple” for my 8th birthday. The Radio City Music Hall was our destination and the featured movie was “Fantasia”. I wrote a blog about that amazing experience last July.

Recently, on a trip to our local Goodwill store (where I purchase most of my books) I came across a tape of the original version of that wonderful movie. For a mere 99 cents I was transported back to that magical day 66 years ago when Mary and I were glued to our seats and I don’t think we missed one note that was played.

Now as I sat in my living room, watching the movie alone, I couldn’t help but compare that time and now. The ending was especially poignant. It contained two songs…”A Night on Bald Mountain” by Mussorgsky and “Ave Maria”. As the narrator said, “It points out the disparity between the profane and the sacred”, or, more simply put... the difference between good and evil.

In 1941 we, as a nation, were not yet aware of the atrocities that were being perpetuated against our Jewish friends. We were naïve in many ways, but the attack on Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7th set our nation in motion. We joined in to fight World War II and the opinion of many a scholar is that it was the last of the “honorable” wars.

The final scene in “Fantasia” is the one pictured above…it, too, seems almost naïve, but is a lovely rendition of a stylized mountain with the sun’s rays radiating toward the heavens. Whatever happened to that sense of hope and rejuvenation?

Here we are 66 years later...mired down in a preemptive war that is robbing us of our most valuable assets...our young people, our resources and our standing in the world. I pray that we can turn this around before it’s too late.



.

8 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

Ginnie, I saw it as a child and I bought the video years ago to share with my grandchildren. Did you know there is a Fantasia 2? (not as good)

P.S. I drove near your area today. We were in Pinehurst at the Hotel, doing flowers for the Jimmy V Gala tomorrow night.

7:20 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Ginnie--I certainly second your ending comment--pray we do turn around before it is too late, and our country loses forever its place in this world.
As for Fantasia--this is one of the few movies I really remember seeing as a child--I was entranced! And to think all the music was wonderful classical music! Couldn't be done today.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Believe it or not, I've never seen it, but I love the lesson that you draw.

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah! I wasn't born then! And I had never realised that Fantasia was a 1941 movie. Of course, with WWII and the fact that in those days, movies took between 5 or more years to cross the Atlantic, I saw Fantasia AND loved it when I was around ten, which makes it about 1954. But I remember it as sheer magic. And around 1990, my daughter experienced the same magic.
An amazing cartoon. And yes, times have changed...

1:27 PM  
Blogger Chancy said...

Ginnie

In my opinion it is already to late. It will take many years to undo the damage that has been done to our standing in the world.
But the heartbreaking fact is our finest young people are over in Iraq being killed and maimed every day. And the poor people of that wartorn country are suffering as well.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Redhead Gal said...

from your lips to God's ear, Ginny.

7:12 PM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

Great post, Ginnie.

7:18 PM  
Blogger Maya's Granny said...

The contrast between then and now could not be greater. I hope that we can recover, but it will not be any time soon, I am afraid.

I love Fantasia, and have the DVD.

5:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home