Sunday, March 22, 2020

The waters of Venice


Most of Italy has been on lock-down for weeks due to Covid-19 so, while looking for something uplifting to write about, I was pleased to come upon this article about the waters of Venice.
 
It reported that “One small silver lining has been reported in Venice. Locals have noticed how clear the water appears perhaps due to the lack of motor boats and general pollution. These clearer waters have even led to wildlife appearing in the canals with swans, fish and more spotted in recent days.”

I was in Venice in 2001 and can attest to the fact that the waters of Venice looked nothing like the picture above. Little as it is this does indeed seem like “one small silver lining” in an otherwise very dreary world.

6 Comments:

Blogger Bonnie Jacobs said...

Here's a link to swans in the canals of Venice, along with other inspiring stories:
https://www.5why.com.au/heres-some-wholesome-coronavirus-related-twitter-stories-to-get-you-through-self-isolation/

1:50 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I also saw a couple of photos about the much improved water quality in the Venice canals, Ginnie. It is an uplifting sight in these sad times. Stay well and thanks for sharing.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

Pollution has decreased around large cities. Amazing really!

6:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

What an improvement. I hope you are doing well.

5:46 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I think our planet will enjoy this if we don't. I heard the lack of auto traffic has really cleaned the air in many areas. I know traffic on my usually busy street has really dropped off. Less noise and I can actually smell the difference when I go out.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Linda P. said...

While I'm not minimizing the worries concerning Covid-19 since I'm immuno-compromised myself and staying put, I can point to many instances of kindnesses offered to neighbors in our little 47-home subdivision as bright spots, too: younger neighbors posting that they'll run errands for the "elderly," Teddy bears appearing in windows--including ours--so that families can take their little ones for a walk to look for all the Teddy bears, difficult-to-obtain goods appearing on people's doorsteps. Because we have an acre lot that's difficult to mow and costly to pay to mow, we had been contemplating moving. I think we'll stay. Hope you're doing well.

4:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home