Sunday, December 22, 2019

My favorite Santa


This bright red Santa is made of papier-mâché and measures 14 inches high. He is at least 85 years old and was originally a lamp base.

As a child I remember that lamp. It had a colorful glass shade that rotated when activated by the bulbs heat. My sisters and I would sit in front of it, mesmerized as we watched a variety of winter scenes come into view and then slowly pass by with each turn.

I’m not sure how old I was when that lamp toppled over or what caused it … but, topple it did and the lampshade shattered to bits. My four older sisters and I were devastated but my mother took it in stride. The next day she took the lamp parts out, worked her own papier-mâché magic and patched the hole in his head. Voila! … he became the Santa that you see here.

I love the expression on his face. Despite all the love that I‘ve lavished on him over the years he seems to have never recovered from that ill-fated fall more than 75 years ago when he lost his “innards” and fancy headgear.

6 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

He’s a treasure!

4:53 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

well he is pretty special with that history and provenance.

5:47 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

He looks great for 85.Love the Santa and how your Mom saved him. Sorry the lamp was lost. Sounds like it would be cool to watch even today. Wonder if Ebay would have one.

7:58 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Your mother was a very clever woman. Make something useful rather than mourn a loss. A great Christmas story, Ginnie.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Linda P. said...

I love your mother's attitude toward the lamp's loss. Merry Christmas!

10:50 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I would hope to look as good as this Santa lamp when I reach that age. Even though the lamp toppled, you still have the Santa and the wonderful memories, Ginnie. Merry 🎄Christmas to you and Happy🍾New Year.

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home