Friday, November 08, 2019

My antique lap desk ...



In my last blog entry I talked about my sister Peg who passed away 7 years ago.  It brought to mind the lovely antique lap desk that she inherited and sent to me requesting that I decorate it for her in any way that I thought appropriate.   I was very touched by her request.

The desk top was perfectly plain as you can see in the “before” picture. It was literally a blank canvas and I tried hard to find the perfect design to bring it alive. I have a huge library of Folk Art books and I leafed through them looking for an inspiration. I knew I had found my answer when I came across this sweet picture of two sisters in repose. 



The picture was painted in 1854 by Mary Ann Smith and is titled “Portrait of the Two Sisters”. I loved the colors and the stylistic folk art look. It seemed to be a perfect match for the desk and I felt like I was paying homage to the artist rather than just copying her art. I like to think that she had a sister as close to her as Peg and I always were.





   



4 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You did a great job. Where is that desk now?

3:37 AM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

You did a wonderful job!

5:44 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Wow, think you hit a home run with that. Perfect.

8:09 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

That is lovely. You turned a lap desk into an cherished heirloom.

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home