Thursday, September 19, 2019

The MATRIARCHS

One dictionary definition of Matriarch is: "a mother who rules her family or tribe" and that would certainly apply to the two women pictured here.  They are my maternal grandmother Prentiss and my mother Ruth Lee.  They both outlived their husbands and "ruled" will into their 90's. They were, to my mind the type of women who fit perfectly into the role of the matriarch. It was a great comfort to be able to pick up the phone and call Mother, knowing that her advice would always be there for me … for earth shattering moments or just to be reminded of the ingredients for a favorite recipe. 
Thinking  of them reminded  me of  the wonderful TV show "Mama's Bank Account" that  aired in the50's and was based on the best selling book by Kathryn Forbes.  Mama was determined that her  children  would grow  up secure and well  educated despite the fact  that they were always one step
away from "the wolf at the door." She would advise them to hold on, that there was nothing to worry about as long as they had her bank account to  fall back on in case of an emergency.    It wasn't until Mama died that the family realized that the "bank account" never existed ... at least not  in the  form  of money  …  but  it  had  worked  like  a  charm  for  years.                                                                

In 1990 Grandma, mother and my husband were gone & I realized that I had become the matriarch.  
I  decided  to follow  the  fictional  Mama's  resourceful  example and found  that  it  actually works.
Now  I've been  the  matriarch  for  almost 30 years and I've come  to realize  something  else too ...


A college degree, gray hair and 86 years of experience don't wipe away the little girl that dwells
within.  I still  want  to make that  phone call  to mother  and be assured  that  "all will be OK"

*****************************************************************************
PS:  Just created a website WWW.virginiadean.com      Tell me what you think ...







5 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

I know exactly how you feel. I think of my mother every day and often have things I want to share with her.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I envy the strong women you had in your life and glad you are carrying on the tradition. Mine left me way too young.

7:26 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Never heard of that show but will check out your website . . .

Well congratulations. I just came across my copy again recently. I am still not in the reading mood, but winter is coming.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I too never heard of the show you mentioned, Ginnie. And, like you I also miss calling my mother even though she’s been gone 5 years. I will also check out your new site.

7:32 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

No wonder you are a marvel - you have very good stock teaching you!!

Ginnie, I read your book in 2 sittings and now I am reading it to Jim while he is in the hospital. He says you have had a wonderful life, and I agree. It was great fun to read and I could picture it. You and I have something in common - I also shook the hand of Jack Kennedy, when he was campaigning in WV in 1960. The charisma was strong!!

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home