Thursday, November 21, 2019

Backing up to the start of my vacation.

In my last blog entry I mentioned the Halloween fun that I had with my daughter & her husband in NY. Now I want to back up and talk about the trip up there from North Carolina.

Many of you will remember all the blog entries that I posted about the travels of my niece Wendy. Well she finally came back to the U.S. and part of her plan was to come to where I live and to load up all her belongings that she had in storage and take them back to NY where she has a house. It happens to be very near to where my kids live so I hitched a ride with her.

Here she is the night before we left …


We planned to drive about half-way up and stay overnight in a B&B in the Shenandoah Valley. I was very impressed with the way that Wendy took on this challenge. The truck was ENORMOUS and she handled it like a pro … slow and steady and finding parking spots with plenty of space and no need to try backing up.

As lunch time approached we started to look for a place to stop. The minute we saw the signs for the town of Tightsqueeze, Virginia we knew we'd found our spot! Unfortunately this strangely named town turned out to have only fast food restaurants but we were hungry and decided to stop anyway. We couldn't find a soul who knew how the town was named “Tightsqueeze” but did get a chuckle when we saw a heavy lady in a purple dress doing her best to squeeze between 2 tables to get to her seat. Luckily her back was to us !

After lunch we made good time and arrived at the B&B around 5. It was still light and Wendy asked me to sit in the driver's seat so that she could take a picture. Here it is:


and a copy of the email that she sent to my children along with the picture. 



We made it to the Shenandoah Valley easily. Although your mom was tired when we arrived, I really appreciated that she insisted to drive the whole way so I could catch up on sleep. On to NY tomorrow!”




5 Comments:

Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Wendy must have nerves of steel to drive that rig to NY.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

Lol. A great adventure for you both!

11:46 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I don't know. Driving a huge truck into a town by the name of Tightsqueeze would have made me think. So glad you had a good trip and I hope you thanked her for letting us travel with her.

9:47 AM  
Blogger An Irish Friend of Bill said...

omg I cant beleive you are still posting like a trooper.. lol
:) you are no slouch.. Im very impressed. love to see the photos of your trip :)

12:11 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Glad you both had a safe drive and that town's name as very funny, so I checked online and found out HOW it was so named: "The community of Tightsqueeze got its name due to the construction of two buildings close to a road that connected Chatham and Danville during the 19th century.Due to the closeness of the two buildings, buggies and wagons had to slow down as they passed between the two buildings."

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home