Friday, January 19, 2018

My treaure but can you guess what this is ....


Although it is unsigned this drawing could easily pass for a sketch by Modigliani … or perhaps Henri Matisse. Of course it isn't by either of them but it is an original. I acquired it in 1982 and to me it is priceless.

That year my husband and I were living in North Carolina. I was working in the emergency room of our local hospital and one night I came home very tired and downcast after a grueling day. My husband, Dick, on the other hand, must have had a good day because he was in a very jovial mood.

Seeing that I was exhausted and grumpy he insisted that I kick back in the recliner and then he bowed low before me and said, in a theatrical voice, “and what can I do for Madame that will lighten her load?” I tried to get into his bantering mode and, after closing my eyes, I gestured dramatically with the back of my hand on my forehead, let out a long sigh and said “sir, you can draw me a bath.”
 
... and HE DID !

8 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

Wow! Love it! A masterpiece indeed! He was a keeper, Ginnie!

4:37 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

What a sweetie he was and loved the drawing. Can see the attitude clearly.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Bonnie Jacobs said...

What a great memory to have ... and what a great story!

9:02 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Great play on words and what a wonderful memory...

10:28 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Tooooooooooooo funny!
But I would have guessed Picasso or Miro'.
What a treasure! Worth more to you than a Picasso, no doubt!

4:30 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

There's nothing as fine as a good sense of humour.

8:39 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

That's wonderful, Ginnie!! How sweet of him. Jim asks me to draw him a bath now and then. Maybe next time, I will.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

A treasure indeed, Ginnie, and worth all the more because of the love behind it. The bath story was also priceless - like the artwork.

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home