Thursday, November 30, 2017

1950's ad … and we bought it !


According to the CDC (Center for Disease Control) “Cigarette smoking causes more than 480,000 deaths each year in the US, more than HIV, illegal drug use, alcohol use, motor vehicle injuries and firearm-related incidents combined.” WOW !

In 2006 the tobacco industry was court ordered to tell the public about the dangers of smoking. Now, after a decade of litigating (which must have cost them a fortune) they are finally out of options and are forced to post a series of TV ads that state the real facts.

All this information has made me look at my own past and I am happy to say that I never cared for smoking. I do admit that in the 50's I tried but, thank goodness, more cigarettes ended up burning in the ashtray than in my lungs.

The biggest shock for me was when, in the late 70's, I started working in a very active ER in our local hospital. I was amazed at how casual it was. Almost everyone smoked and ashtrays were overflowing at most stations.


The medical personnel would actually be exhaling smoke as they entered a patient’s room!! Luckily we had a doctor who specialized in pulmonary diseases and he started to complain. 

The first things to go were the ash trays in the ER ! Then, little by little the powers to be started to rally behind him and by the mid 90’s all smoking was banned inside the hospital, including in the cafeteria. However, it wasn't until 2010 that this finally happened …  HOORAY !
 
 
 
 


 

5 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

I find it strange to see so much smoking on old movies and tv programs. Neither my husband nor I took up smoking. We are so happy we didn’t!

6:40 PM  
Blogger Bonnie Jacobs said...

Smoking is also prohibited on the "campus" (grounds or buildings) of my senior living center. Anyone discovered smoking, even in their own apartments, can be evicted. The prohibition happened not long after I moved here three-and-a-half years ago. I was happy about it, since I have never smoked, not even once.

12:11 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I quit in 1976 after a 21 day hospital stay. Smoking by patients was allowed but I figured since I was getting a shot of Demerol every 4 hours, it was the perfect time to quit stress free. Now days I feel a bit badly for the smokers standing out in the heat or cold indulging their habit. Sure glad I quit.

8:07 AM  
Blogger possum said...

The head of our English dept and I quit the day before Xmas break, 33 years ago, to the drum roll of the band director as we ground out our last cigarettes... We made a vow that whoever gave in and smoked first had to pay the other $100 - a LOT back then - to be given to the Charity of choice.
I had so 'much' faith in myself I just came home and called St Jude's and gave them my credit card # - money to be taken out each month. I knew I'd never make it.
In reality, I have NOT smoked since then - but St Jude's made out OK. They have been collecting from me ever since. ($20/mo x 33 years... add it up)
The funny part of this story - I bought candy canes by the box load (it was Christmas!) and "smoked" them until summer. To this day, I HATE peppermint!

Yes, I have seen a couple of the 'new' ads. I wonder if they would have stoped me all those many years ago when everyone else smoked - and the faculty room (read smoker's lounge) door was next to MY room's door AND, I had smoker's duty outside at lunch where the kids got to smoke. Imagine that today!

1:39 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

When I watch period pieces on tv, I am appalled by the amount of smoking that we took for granted and find myself yelling at the tv on occasion. Like you, I was never a smoker. I did try a few, but ...

5:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home