Saturday, November 25, 2017

FILIPPO...the “mad” Scientist/Inventor


Dick and I were married in NY City in 1958. It was a lovely affair but Dick's   eccentric best friend and ex-roommate Filippo was “missing in action”. He was a scientist/inventor and spent a lot of time out of town researching his projects so this wasn't unusual.
 
However I'd heard so much about him that I wanted to put a face to the name that my husband spoke of so frequently and this came about a few months later. Filippo was small in stature but his dramatic flair made him a daunting personage. He had been born and bred in NY City and was the prototype of the Italian male with sparkling eyes, a thin pencil mustache and a small, pointed goatee.
 
One of his passions was the stock market and one night we received a frantic call from him. He was “out in the hinterlands” and couldn’t get his hands on a “NY Times” and he asked Dick if he could read off the NYSE results for the day. I started to hand the paper to Dick but he shook his head at me and went on to give Filippo a list of the reasons why this would be extremely inconvenient...not the least being the fact that he would have to get dressed and go downtown to get the paper! After some further haggling Filippo agreed to buy us each a steak dinner upon his next trip home in return for Dick getting the paper and reading the results to him. He said he’d call back within the hour. After he hung up the phone I reminded Dick that we had the paper but he just laughed and said, “Oh, I know that...it’s just something we do”.
 
It was more like 3 hours by the time Filippo rang back and when he did I was amazed to hear Dick say; “Well, Chappie, I have bad news. You know that our dog is paper trained and it took you so long to get back to us that I had no choice but to use that paper for Tiger. She’s sitting on it right now, as a matter of fact.”

Then he sat back with a big grin and held the phone away from his ear. I could hear Filippo fuming and fussing on the other end and every once in awhile Dick would throw in a sympathetic “Uh, huh” until I finally heard an exasperated sigh and Filippo caved in. “O.k., o.k….I give up“ he said, “ Get your damn dog off the paper and I’ll buy her a steak dinner too !”
 
This was just the start of a lifetime filled with good-natured bantering between Dick and Filippo and, although Dick has been gone since 1990 Filippo and his wife Mary have remained good friends. He's 89 now but I'm sure he's still stirring up trouble with a twinkle in his eye !


 
 


4 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

Such a friend is a rare gift in this life. Fun story, Ginnie.

5:29 PM  
Blogger possum said...

It is great to have one or two silly (but wonderful) friends. Well, OK, maybe just one.
I have one. We are positive we were court jesters together in a past lifetime. When we are out in public together - it is like that scene in the movie - "I'll have whatever they are drinking..." but in truth, it is only ice-tea! We just get silly! She saves all her silly stuff from the last time we saw each other and I do, too... but somehow we can tease each other like Dick and his old room mate and turn anything into something dumbfounding to others. In reality, she is a criminal defense lawyer - a very serious job - but the other side of that is she has some amazing and hilarious stories to tell.

How fortunate you are to still have this friend - and his wife as friends and to have had them for all these years!
Great story Ginnie! I eagerly await the next one!

4:49 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Oh my... I've needed a friend like that all my life but never found one...:(

9:44 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

What a delightful story. How neat that friends know eachother so well. Dick was a bit of a rascal wasn't he?

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home