Tuesday, August 22, 2017

8/21/2017


I watched most of the total eclipse on C-Span today and it was really interesting, especially when day turned into night in many places along the route. I live about 3 hours from where I could have viewed it in person in South Carolina but decided to stay home and hope that I would at least get a partial view.

Our viewing time was 2:33 so, as it neared, I decided to get in my car and go in search of a good spot to watch. I traveled North-East a bit and pulled into a large Church parking lot with a sweeping expanse of sky in front of it. I was the only one there and as the time approached I saw no changes and couldn't help but wonder if I'd been wrong about the time. It was a lovely summer day with an extremely bright sun but no sign of a darkening sky. However, as soon as I put on my special glasses I saw what is pictured in the photo. 

But, here's the strange part. My son Matt lives about 20 minutes South-East of me and, since he is in his own business, he structured his day so that he could lie on his back lawn and view the sky. He saw what I did but he also experienced the day darkening enough to activate his outside garage lights. He said the temperature dropped too and all in all it was an exciting experience.  

Just a few miles apart but, like the line in Frost's “Road Less Traveled” I made my choice and it “made all the difference”. In 2024 I intend to listen to others !!


8 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

Love your plan for 2024, Ginnie!

4:30 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Your time was almost identical to our 2:35, except we only saw 2/3.

5:22 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I know unless I used the glasses, there was little difference here but it did get 10 degrees cooler--down to a mild 86--whee. My sun sensor window candles did come on so they notices better than I did. I guess in 7 years, one will pass right over my house. Better take my vitamins.

10:44 AM  
Blogger joared said...

We saw only a partial eclipse here, too. May consider seeking the totality experience in 2024.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We saw a partial eclipse where we were in North Adams, MA. We had not bought the special glasses, but were lent a pair by a couple we met there.

5:25 AM  
Blogger possum said...

81% here. 2:46PM. I enjoyed the twilight for a few minutes. a few confused crickets started to chirp, the birds did get quiet.
Having done the eclipse thing at NASA a number of years ago (back in the 80's?) I went on with watering my garden. glanced at the sun's reflection in the ground level birdbath, saw it get eaten up by the moon mostly, and went back to my gardening. The fun part was watching our local meteorologist's selfie video from out in Nebraska where he drove to film the eclipse... he was so excited! That was funny! He kept naming the planets and constellations as they appeared in the suddenly dark sky.

6:49 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

We had a total eclipse here and it was amazing. Although we had some clouds drifting by, they opened up during the totality. The crows flew over our house to roost nearby, the temperature dropped dramatically and the katydids started their loud August noise. It was quite a sight.

5:51 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Lucky you! We drove all the way to Kansas City to watch it rain... Oh Well.

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home