Wednesday, July 19, 2017

THE CHESS GAME … circa 1972


In 1990, shortly after my husband died, I was looking through some old photographs and came across a wonderful one of Dick and our oldest son Mark playing chess. It really touched me because it was so reminiscent of how they used to spend hours at the chess board. Dick had been teaching all three children to play since they were toddlers.

The only problem was that it was a Polaroid shot and so faded that I could barely make out the expression on Dick’s face. I mentioned this to Mark and he agreed that it was a shame to lose that memory.

Then Mark did a wonderful thing. Unbeknownst to me he “stole” the photo when I wasn’t looking. He is an architect and has a very good eye for design so it wasn’t difficult for him to produce this wonderfully stylized version of that photo. He captured the moment exactly as it had been in the original. Framed and mounted it was his Christmas gift to me that year and I was thrilled. I had copies made and, in turn, gave them as gifts to all of my family members.

Mark and his siblings learned a lot from their dad as he taught them to play chess… not the least being tenacity and patience.

4 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That's great that he played chess with the kids, and also that the photo was restored and shared. Wasn't '72 about Bobby Fischer time?

7:43 PM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

Wonderful memories captured forever. Chess is such a great game to teach children spending time with them is the key element.

4:49 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Wow, that was so thoughtful and sweet. A treasure recovered.

10:56 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Teaching a kid chess is teaching them to THINK!
And spending time is the greatest gift of all...

Good for Mark. A great gift. Great for sharing.
lucky kids. Lucky you!

4:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home