Saturday, June 10, 2017

A change of pace ...

In 1942 I was 9 years old and my sister and I were visiting our grandparents in New Jersey.  My Papa (as we called our Granddad) was an author and I loved his mysterious office filled with piles of paper, half-finished manuscripts and the pungent smell of pipe tobacco.  I remember that I asked if I could write a letter home and was thrilled when he said "of course" and actually let me use his beloved typewriter to do it.. 

I ran across that letter a few days ago and it took me back to those halcyon days. It was a brief but welcome relief from the constant barrage of garbage that passes for news in todays world. Perhaps it will give you a respite too...and maybe even a chuckle. (click on the letter to magnify)


8 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

What a treasure to have such a letter! Well done for sure, Virginia!

11:51 AM  
Blogger Bonnie Jacobs said...

What a great letter! I'm glad someone saved it and that you have it now.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

What a marvellous job of typing. I couldn't do that well. I can hardly type three words without a typo, of which I have had a few just typing this.

3:56 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Oh what a treasure!
That is priceless. Already the little writer or is it wrighter? LOL?
I LOVE it, Ginnie. Or is it Virginia?
Thanks for my smile this morning!

4:44 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Wow, amazing that you found a letter from 42. Did you two finger type or use all fingers? Either way, well done. Got tickled at your wanting your bed to know you missed it. I remember that feeling. Sure do miss the days of snail mail. We opened up more than we do today with texts and emails.

11:03 AM  
Blogger joared said...

Delightful! Your favorite key signs $ and cents -- but no cents now on my 'puter keyboard. Will we have letters like yours, or handwritten to share in the future? Will old letters be collectors items?


7:58 PM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

What a wonderful reminder of 9-year-old Ginnie! No playing school during lovely summer days. This post was indeed a lovely respite in our troubling times. Thanks.

7:38 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I really enjoyed this letter, Ginnie, especially the reference to Plainfield. As you know, it's my hometown. (To answer a question you had about my Friday Funnies as to "where" I find them, the answer is everywhere and it helps to have a littel bit warped sense of the ridiculous at times.)

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home