Tuesday, July 04, 2017

And the winner is …


“1951. Dancing at the Totem Pole”. I posted that entry June 5th of 2007 and, 10 years later, I have yet to top it as far as the amount of comments that it garnered. It seems to have opened a nostalgic door for so many and, rather than repeat the entry, I thought it would be fun to share some of their heart-warming and informative responses instead. Here goes:

* Going through my HS years in Newton, it was pure delight to take a girl to the Totem Pole... so romantic, and such fond memories of our youth when we were so amazingly innocent! And the paddle-boats were delightful! We had no idea what made up a girl, but we sure loved 'em, and loved the music. Such nostalgia…

* Hi Ginnie, I am 82, I lived in Newton, MA all my life I worked at the totem pole from 1944 to 1958 first on soda fountain then ticket booth, and then the hostess in the ballrom where I met my later to be husband who was the manager. you can't even imagine all the memories and happy images you brought to me.

* Thanks for posting information about The Totem Pole ballroom at Norumbega. I grew up (I'm now 70) in Newton and was one of the very lucky teenagers that used to take my "special" dates for a night of dancing at Totem Pole. Your blog brings back wonderful memories of the blissful evenings dancing and listening to the big band music of Tommy Dorsey, Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw, and the many other top-name bands that played there. I remember that I never had a problem getting a date to go dancing at Totem Pole! LOL


* I know just what you are talking about! I had a date that took me to the Totem Pole. He didn't have a car so we got there by street car, subway and bus. I lived north of Boston. The ballroom was beautiful, the band was great and the couches were cozy. I remember each couch had a lamp that was dimly lit. Some couples would shut the lamps off. There was an employee that would go around and have them put the lamps back on!!

And my favorite:

* I found a love letter tonight from my deceased husband and laughed because he said he just couldn't wait until Saturday night. It would be in the paper who would be at the Totem Pole.....it was Glen Miller's Band. We were going to Brockton High School and started dating at 15 & 17 after knowing each other all our lives and were married for 42 AWESOME years before he passed away from cancer. What wonderful memories of that place. We went as often as his pitiful little grocery store job paycheck would allow. Thank you for the memories. You made my day as I was sitting here missing him so much tonight.

Pure nostalgia !







5 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

Wow! Great stories! Love the last one especially! Happy 4th, Ginnie!

5:54 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Wow,you really stirred up some marvelous memories. Definitely deserved posting the comments.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

It was fun reading the comments from that previous post as I didn't see the original one, Ginnie. You apparently brought back good memories for some folks.

5:14 PM  
Blogger possum said...

A different time - a different way of life.
A nice trip into the past.
And all that without texting or posting selfies all the time.
Imagine.

9:04 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Ah those ballrooms were so special in big cities and small towns. Fond memories indeed...:)

6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home