Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Ebay shrinks the world …


This is a portion of a two page promotional biography for the radio personality Johnny Pearson. It was written in November, 1957 and has little value. So, why was I quick to buy it from Ebay when a friend pointed it out to me?      Because I wrote it !!

Yep … 56 years ago this November and it feels like yesterday. I have my internet friend to thank for alerting me that it was for sale on Ebay. For less than $15 I now have tangible evidence that I worked in NY City grinding out promos for ABC radio in the late 50’s. For many years it’s felt like a dream memory and these two pages bring it into focus for me.

I mentioned my internet friend. He is the son of Scott Vincent who was the staff announcer at WABC for many years and, although I didn’t know him personally, I wrote material for most of the shows that he hosted.

 
His son contacted me about a year ago. He was just a toddler in the 50’s but he remembers visiting his dad at the WABC studios and was anxious to hear if I had any memories of him at that time. His dad died in 1979 and he is in the process of gathering material for a memoir of him. If any of you reading this have information about, or memories of, Scott Vincent please let me know and I will send them on to his son.


BTW: Scott Jr. is a much better sleuth than I am. He is intrepid and continues to conjure up bits and pieces from a myriad of sources. Slowly, like pieces in a jigsaw puzzle, they seem to be coming together. Thanks so much, Scott, for including me in your search !

11 Comments:

Blogger KGMom said...

Oh, Ginnie--this is really cool. How neat to be able to reacquire something from that part of your working career. Any idea why it was for sale on Ebay?

5:14 PM  
Blogger possum said...

OH, WOW! Imagine that! What luck!

5:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have found things I wrote or recorded talks I gave ages ago on Amazon...for sale. How strange the world is when something you did ages ago comes back from whereever it's been. The really scary thing is that no one could know someday. How fortunate you have it to leave in your memorabilia. Good to pass on the info about your own life, I think. Dianne

7:15 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

What a treasure! I must admit I've never checked anything on Ebay. I know it would entice me to spend hours and hours at the computer.

8:31 AM  
Blogger ellen said...

Good for you! I hope this is hanging in a prominent place in your home.
What wonderful memories for you..and what a fascinating life you have had.

8:41 AM  
Blogger ellen said...

p.s. I think that my problem with leaving comments has finally been solved with the generous help from one of my readers..."just click on the little x up in the right hand corner". I never even noticed that elusive little x.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

What a nice memory document for you. Makes you wonder if there are more radio buffs out there with come of your copy.

I was at the installation service of one of our ministers when lovely reading was offered up which I thought that sounds about rights. At the end of the ceremony I was told that I actually was the author of that reading. Now I wish I had asked for a copy of it.

12:51 PM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Oh no neat. What a wonderful way to bring back your connection to the past....:)

1:51 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

WIll you frame this or post in a memory book, Ginnie?

6:17 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

Great find, Ginnie. I'm astounded by how many great things you have done.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Pretty neat.

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home