Thursday, August 22, 2013

"Beam me up, Scotty..."



I’ve let everyone know that I am looking for ideas for my Unlimiters blog site and my good friend Bud was one of the first to respond. He even supplied pictures along with the idea … and they fit perfectly into the theme of what I write for that website … namely highlighting things that make it easier to accept the challenges of aging.

 So here he is. My friend Bud looking every bit like Captain Kirk waiting to be transported back to the Starship Enterprise; but, in actuality he is simply enjoying an evening of TV wearing his brand new headset, commercially called TV Ears.

Bud says that losing some of his hearing crept up on him. Since he lives alone he would simply rev up the TV volume and it wasn’t until he had visitors that he became aware of how annoying this could be to others. Luckily the solution was simple and nowhere near as costly as a pair of hearing aids.

Bud tells me that the TV Ears come in a variety of styles and prices and are very easy to install. Just plug the small antenna to the back of the TV and you’re good to go. Bud says that his has a range of 500 feet. He can even wear it sitting on his deck where he listens to news or music channels.

Family members and friends are thrilled with his device. Bud can control the volume on the headset to suit his needs and the rest of them can simply enjoy the program normally.




So, for any of you with hearing loss, do as my friend Bud did. Buy yourself a TV headset.

Don’t you wish all of our problems could be solved so easily ?

 

10 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

Hello, Bud!! Looking good! I know I need TV ears (in addition to my hearing aids) and it would make Jim happy! lol

5:59 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

A simple idea for a difficult problem. I wonder if there is any way they could be attached to a broadcasting device that picks up by microphone the sounds and voices in the room. No hearing the TV is not as bad as being able to hear and carry on a conversation with a person in the room.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I have a friend who needs those. She just blew out the speakers on her newish TV. Couldn't understand why.
Some how I missed this on Unlimiters. I just checked and see you posted on Tues. I thought you posted on Mondays. My bad.

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

David has the TV ears, but he says when he wears them he can't hear me if I say something, and according to him I am always making comments during various programs. Dianne

1:44 PM  
Blogger ellen said...

Oh, those do look like a wonderful solution. So far, not needed here, but who knows?

6:34 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

No kidding. Its sure beats the five thousand it cost me for new hearing aids......

3:59 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I've heard of these. Since i have the actual hearing aids, I don't need it, but you never know when it will come in handy.

Here's a thought. I just mentioned to Sue today that I begin to understand the need for people to help seniors trim their toenails etc.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Pat's aunt could sure use a set of these as she has her TV volume turned up so loud that it's audible when standing on the front porch. However, she is very resistant to any change in her life, so most likely would not use this device.

4:08 AM  
Blogger possum said...

A great idea - BUT - before you invest in ear phones for your TV, be sure you have a plug for them. My TV does not have a plug in for phones. Go figure! But I do use them when listening to something on the computer.

5:45 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Pretty neat. Ginnie, I know that you wanted me to send you something and I will. Things have been terribly busy here. Not an excuse but just so much to do.

7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home