Sunday, May 29, 2011

OUT IN MY CORNFIELD …



How do you like my cornfield? I decided on a whim to plant some corn since I was given the 4 seedlings that you see here. They were about 12 inches high. I planted them in a sunny spot about 3 weeks ago and look at them now ... strong and healthy and topping the 3 foot mark.

The funny part is that I have no idea what variety of corn this is. I also have no idea how high the stalks will grow and if I will actually be able to harvest an ear or two. I love fresh corn and would get a big kick out of eating from my own crop!

I just hope that the deer will not notice my 4 little stalks. Surely they wouldn’t deprive a nice old widow woman like me of her small crop ... or would they???

I’ll keep you posted.

6 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

We tried corn once, but the squirrels got them first.

2:09 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

I predict that either the squirrels or the deer will get them before you can harvest any, Ginnie. Can you surround them with a wire fence?

8:13 AM  
Anonymous schmidleysscribblins.wordpress.com said...

Good luck with the deer. I grew a huge vegetable patch a few years, and planted so much that if the deer ate anyo of the corn I did not notice. I think the trick is to plant one for you and one for the critters, etc. etc. Dianne

8:15 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

The raccoons eat the corn here. We had little luck with a small plot.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hope you get to enjoy the corn, maybe by the July 4th holiday? That's what Grenville is hoping for the few he planted.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I guess you don't believe in planting the "three sisters" together (corn, beans, squash) They have a nice symbiotic relationship.
The corn lets the beans grow up it. The beans fix nitrogen in the soil to feed the corn and squash. The squash enjoys the shade of the corn and helps give soil cover that maintains moisture.

Good luck on your harvest.

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home