Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A 3 day respite to the mountains …



This lovely church is located in the western hills of North Carolina. It is also where my middle son was contracted to work on two columbarium’s a few weeks back. (a columbarium is defined as “a vault of niches where cremated ashes are interred”.)

The contractor has a mason construct the basic structure according to plan and then my son puts on the finishing touches … usually in marble or fine granite. He has been doing this for quite a few years and his job has taken him even as far from home as Texas.

When this job materialized he surprised me by asking if I’d like to go along and of course I jumped at the chance. Here he is … before and after.





It turned into a lovely 3 day vacation for me … spending quality time with my son … watching him work, reading, relaxing and just generally “chilling out” together.

It’s such a comfort to have him living nearby but it’s also fun for the two of us to get away from the old home scene. This little trip is a memory that will be with me forever.

8 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

Oh, I wish I had the opportunity to do that with my boy, but I don't think he needs me to help with selling commercial insurance....lol

The columbarium looks very nice.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Good for you Ginnie! I know how special it is to spend time with our adult children. Everyone is always so busy. Glad that you had a nice relaxing visit, I think you deserved it! Love Di ♥

3:47 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

What a unique job! Glad you got a little time with your kid.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

Really nice work that he does. Glad that you got a chance to go too. I am in Beaufort,SC. It takes a while by sailboat and I didn't want to sail all night. So I anchored behind Morgan Island and then came in to Beaufort the next day.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi,

To be with your son on a vacation is a lovely experience. While he is working and you admiring watching him work is something wonderful and very few lucky people get such and exceptional experience.

Lovely photos. I could get a glimpse of your son's special work.

Best wishes to you and your son,
Joseph

9:32 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Quite an interesting trip for you and spending time with your son was an added bonus.

6:35 PM  
Blogger izzy said...

Spending time just hanging out with family is such a gift! Thanks.
I landed here because of your comment about Alanon and recovery- My parents were both gone by the time I got sober.
My Brother took me in so I had a fighting chance! He has gotten to witness a fair amount of my growth. Like you I have been blessed with a few twenty four hours. I trust I have been able to pass some of it on to others.Alanon and Acoa have taught me a great deal.
I would love to hear about North Carolina, my husband just applied for a job near Charlotte!

6:29 AM  
Blogger ellen said...

I am so glad that you were able to have that mini vacation and to spend it with such a special person in your life.

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home