Thursday, January 04, 2007

PIG PICKIN’ Time………… Y’all come !


There are many stories that I could tell about my 23 years working in the Emergency Room of our local hospital...but this is one of my favorites.

I had been there less that 6 months when an ambulance crew brought in a farmer who had been severely attacked by one of his domestic pigs. He was suffering from a profusion of bites as well as a great deal of blunt trauma; but, perhaps what was suffering most was his ego. He was positively furious that the pig that he’d raised could have turned on him.

Actually he was lucky to be alive and, after his emergency cares were attended to, he was admitted to the hospital. We, in the ER, thought that was the end of it until 3 weeks later when we received an invitation in the mail. The farmer was planning to celebrate his recovery with a good old fashioned Pig Pickin’ and wanted all of us to be his guests.

When I called and told my husband that we were invited to a Pig Pickin’ he said, “What’s that?” and I had to admit that I had no idea. (Remember, we had only been in the south for a short time). All I knew was that everyone told me to be sure to come and to bring a big appetite.

The big day arrived and when Dick and I drove up to the farm we saw a large crowd congregated around a smoking barbecue. A delicious aroma was in the air and I suddenly realized that it was THE PIG who was the guest of honor ! Sure enough, there he was…trussed on a spit and being slowly turned over the hot coals by our friend, the farmer.

I had been to many picnics and outdoor roasts but I’d never seen anything to equal this. Hush Puppies, 2 types of Cole Slaw, baked beans, hot rolls and a barbecue sauce complimented the roast pig which melted in your mouth. Ice cream and watermelon were the dessert items and, all in all, the afternoon was a huge success.

I did feel a little sorry for THE PIG. After all, he was the main attraction but nary an “oink” would he be able to utter. He’d had his say loud and clear on the day he’d turned on his owner

10 Comments:

Blogger gawilli said...

Mmmmmm. My mouth is watering!

7:21 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Somehow, I've never been to a pig roast. I'm not really complaining mid you. I guess that pig deserved his fate.

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I moved from North Carolina in 1996, but I do remember enjoying my first pig pickin'. My favorite thing was the banana pudding for dessert.

I love this story. Your blog is a wonderful read.

Best wishes,
Judith

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sitting here with a huge smile, a great story. I love following you through your memories.

I raised pigs once, they are smart as hell but can be mean, too. One of ours got out and chased my daughters and myself around the house for 15 min until we managed to get up a ladder.

4:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The foods sounds great, but 'Hush Puppies' ! We in Britain would never dream of eating shoes. :-)

6:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eeek. It kind of gives me the creeps... but I do like roast pork. LOL


Peace,

~Chani

7:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That pig had it coming

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh...what a great story! LOL Poor pig though. But I bet he was yummy!
And what a nice gesture to invite all of you in the ER.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

I love this story, it made me laugh, yet still pity the pig, LOL.
My favourite meal ever was a Hungi with some of my dad's workmates who came from Tonga. Awesome food, cooked underground, with special tropical drinks, outstanding to say the least.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Chancy said...

Great story and I bet that farmer enjoyed every minute of the pig roasting over the open pit.

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home