Sunday, December 31, 2006

Miserable Tykes, UK (1920's), USA (1938)



In October our friend “Big John” from England posted a blog entitled “A not too neat and tidy trio” and he featured the picture that you see here. I found it very amusing and I especially loved the expressions on the three little tykes.

I left this comment: “It reminds me of the Staples TV commercial…that shows the Dad racing around the store gathering school supplies for his kids. He is ecstatic because school is starting and he's singing (to the Christmas tune) It’s The Most Wonderful Time of the Year and then the camera trains on the kids and , I swear, they have expressions on their faces just like the two older children in your photo. Priceless!”

Now, imagine my surprise when my oldest sister, Mary, (age 80) sent me this photo for Christmas. She had it framed and wrote, “Merry Christmas, Joy & Peace” across the inside ! You can see that she retains a good sense of humor. I immediately thought of John’s picture and how similar they are.

I am the youngest of 5 girls and when I asked Mary where our middle sister Nancy was she said that none of us wanted to have our picture taken that day, but only Nancy was brave enough to stamp her foot and run off. She was, and is, the rebel of the family.

I guess children have their miserable days just like we adults do… but somehow you don’t expect to see it in family photos. There is something very appealing about these two pictures, however. You can almost hear the big sighs and read their thoughts…”you can make us pose, but you can’t make us smile !”

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pictures are just the best. Love your story about your sister getting away...

Take care,
Connie

2:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's what I love about kids, they are so open. Great photos.

4:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mother and her sister and brothers use to use some of their old, less than flattering, photos to harass each other from time to time having them made into greeting cards and the like on special occasions. Some of our old photos "just keep on giving and giving"!

4:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great picture Ginnie.
Perhaps we should start a competition for the best photo of a bunch of morose looking kids. I bet everyone has at least one.

4:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are wonderful photos. They don't make shoes or haircuts like those anymore. I love the story of the Christmas care that your sister created.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Chancy said...

The US photo reminds me of my "Buster Brown haircut back in the day.
Thanks ginnie

2:03 PM  
Blogger Maya's Granny said...

Wonderful! Some times a kid just has to express what she feels no matter what the parents want.

11:57 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

LOL, yes, I have but one picture I remember my um taking of me aged abour 7yrs, I was a sourpuss that day, usually loveing the camera, no matter what she did I did not smile that day..oh well, I guess we all have our days :)

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The similarity is astounding....lol I remembered John's photo and can't get over how much yours looks like his.
I have to say I was probably a ham...because I doubt I have one photo of me as a kid without a smile. No wonder I love photography today...lol So I don't think I can enter your competition. (NOW I'm pouting)

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my favorite photos of myself is me with a face like this. I just like the fact that I wasn't going to be phoney about it. I have others of course where I ham it up big time in "bigshot" "teenager-like" poses. I thought I was all that.

7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home