Saturday, December 23, 2006

PRESSED-TIN Crèche Scene...Hecho en Mexico


In 2002 a friend and I went to Mexico. I became enamored with the colorful pottery and tile work but it was way too heavy to carry home. I even considered shipping some pieces to the States but the cost was prohibitive.

When I came upon this little Crèche scene I almost passed it by. It was displayed behind some large piñatas and hand-made paper flowers. The little figures, ranging in size from three quarters of an inch to two and a half inches, came packaged in a small tin box and they were nearly obscured by the other items.

Like most of the folk-art in Mexico the Crèche scene is crude & almost primitive in style. I would imagine that the pieces are cut by machine but the painting is definitely done by hand. An additional piece of metal is soldered to the back of each figure which enables them to stand on their own, much like an easel.
Although I only display the Crèche scene at Christmas I keep the little box on a shelf where I can see it year round. I love the shape of the box and the rustic design. I also love the idea that it was made by hand and is authentically Mexican.

When I think of all the work that went into making the box and the 10 little figures I can’t believe that I paid the equivalent of less than $3.00 for it.

It may be an inexpensive little memento of my trip to Mexico but it means more than that to me. There’s no price tagged on the amount of pleasure that my little Crèche scene has provided over these last few years.

8 Comments:

Blogger gawilli said...

What a beautiful nativity! I really love folk-art the best, and such a nice momento of your trip.

Merry Christmas, Ginnie!

7:11 PM  
Blogger Cuppa said...

Hi Ginnie - thanks for dropping by today to say hello. It is always nice to meet a new blog friend. I'll look forward to seeing you around the "neighbourhood" again soon.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I dropped by to wish you a Merry Christmas and to thank you for being a blogging buddy.

7:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ginnie,

I have a similar love affair with the hand-painted pottery. Since I was there studying, I imposed myself on one of the ceramic shops and just sitting with the owner every afternoon. That was more educational than my classes. I actually managed to pack a few pieces and bring them home as presents. Your tin figures are just charming. Like Gawilli, I really like folk art the best.

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see why you love them. They are just gorgeous.

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas. Stay well.

Hugs,
Connie

2:12 AM  
Blogger Maya's Granny said...

It is indeed a lovely little creche.

Merry Christmas.

12:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can understand why this is so special to you, Ginnie.
Many times it's the simplicity of something that brings out it's true beauty. And this is lovely.

7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty colors! :)


Peace,

~Chani

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home