Tuesday, November 07, 2006

A STRANGER & I SHARE AN AMUSING MOMENT


It was just past 6 AM when I entered the restaurant and I saw that one other customer had been seated before me. He was a nice looking young man and, since we were the only two there, we nodded a silent “good morning” to each other.

I chose this particular restaurant because I like their choice of breakfast items. On this day I opted for a Spanish Omelet and coffee. My friend was equally conservative and ordered 2 eggs, no meat, a biscuit and coffee.

We were just getting down to eating when we heard the loud approach of an 18-wheeler and, a few minutes later, the driver of the truck was being seated. Now there were three of us in the room and once again we nodded to each other pleasantly.

Our new man was very large & I wasn’t surprised when he ordered the equivalent of 3 breakfasts. After he placed his order he sat back, crossed his hands over his protruding tummy and proceeded to rock back and forth in happy anticipation of the feast to come.

It took two waitresses to carry out the large breakfast he’d ordered and it was placed ceremoniously in front of him. He had pancakes, 3 eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits in gravy and a side order of their special hash browns with cheese, not to mention a large Pepsi.

The breakfast seemed to be literally swimming in butter, gravy and syrup but there was an addition to it that caught our eye. A large slice of twisted orange had been placed artistically atop the pancakes. The driver literally reared back when he saw that and then, very carefully with thumb and forefinger, he plucked the orange slice from the stack and, with a sigh of relief, he deposited it in the ash tray.

The stranger and I could only smile and shake our heads as we locked eyes across the room. We didn’t have to hide the look of amusement on our faces. There was no way that the truck driver would have seen us.

Now that he had successfully rid himself of the one healthy element of his meal he was completely and happily engrossed in the orgy of eating.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That certainly gave me a good chuckle! Can you imagine that man's cholesterol count? Just reading about it filled me up! LOL


Peace,

Thailand Gal
~*~*~

7:05 PM  
Blogger Maya's Granny said...

Poor man! Someone tried to sneak a little bit of vegetation onto his plate!

11:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting post. It just proves....Some people eat to live and others live to eat. It's easy to see which category this poor soul fell into.

6:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK. I confess. It sounds great to me, though I seldom, if ever, so indulge. I can dream, can't I?

7:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember that once on a visit to the USA I sat next to a man and his young son at breakfast in a diner, as the father forced the poor kid to eat TWO huge breakfasts, with threats that if he did not eat them ... "He would not make the team". I would have been pushed to eat just one.

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have an overweight friend who eats somewhat like that and his cholesterol is fine. Astounding. Wouldn't it be wonderful to not have to think and just eat what you wanted? Sigh. But I've eaten healthily for so long that I'd probably not enjoy the "bad" stuff!

10:38 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

On occasional big breakfast is nice, but I don't think that I could handle that one. But I agree that a slice of orange has no place on that particular plate. So there! ;)

6:32 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

I eat healthy stuff and like it but the goodies in that picture sure looked tempting. As for that man's appetite...scary!

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well told! It really takes two enlightened and awakened souls to create moments like that.

It's so funny. My husband is a truck mechanic. He brings wonderful Turkish food to eat at lunch. The other guys tease him about eating all that "rabbit food s**t." If only they knew.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Amen to women finally getting there, our generation has seen some profound changes. Still a ways to go, though.

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shoulda had a V8! I wonder if that's his only meal of the day?

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home