Wednesday, October 25, 2006

2005...My correspondence with JIMMY CARTER


In January of 2005 I saw millions of dollars being spent on the pageant that was supposed to be an inauguration. It was widely advertised as being funded by "private interest" money and not coming out of the pockets of the lowly taxpayer.

What rubbish! Just how naive do there politicians think we are? The big money guys do not shell out that kind of money without expecting to get a return...and we all know that it is the low man on the totem pole that carries the biggest burden.

In a moment of complete frustration I sat down and wrote a letter to Jimmy Carter. I chose to write to him because I have always admired his courage and humility. The accomplishments of his life are varied and impressive, even though he was not a very effective President, in my opinion. (Much too nice a person for that thankless task.)

After he left office he chose to make a real difference in the world, rather than retire to obscurity. In 1984 he and his wife, Rosalynn, became active in "Habitat For Humanity", and it was their participation that helped to make it a world-wide project. He loaned his name to many Foundations, as well as establishing the "Carter Center"...all in the quest for peace and to fight disease & build hope among the peoples of the world.

In my letter to President Carter I explained that I had been in Italy when 9/11 happenend and I told him of the support and love the Italians had shown to us. In 2004 I returned to Italy and was shocked at the difference. Just 3 short years of our present administration had ruined years of fence mending. Once again we have taken on the "ugly American" syndrome.

I explained to him that I felt like a small voice in the wilderness, that I didn't recognize my country anymore and that it frightened me to see the decline of the middle class.

Imagine my surprise and the thrill that I felt when I received an envelope bearing no postage...simply the words "Jimmy Carter" where the stamp would have been placed. Inside I found a copy of my letter and his hand-written message in the upper right hand corner.

I will treasure that piece of paper and, even more to the point, I will try to do as he says. I will continue to let my views be known.

8 Comments:

Blogger thailandchani said...

I have always admired Jimmy Carter, too, and you're right. He is far too nice a person to be in the ugly world of presidential politics. He is respected and admired now for the things he has contributed.

It would be curious to know his real thoughts about his time in the presidency.


Thailand Gal

~*~*~*~

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A great story, Ginnie. I never thought that the president didn't need to put a stamp on his envelopes. Here in France, if you write to the president, you don't need to put a stamp. As no president has ever written to me I don't know if he would have to stamp his envelopes.

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Silly of me, I wrote too fast. Had not realised that Jimmy Carter was not the president any longer when he had replied to you

1:44 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

He is an admirable man who has done what he can to make people's lives better.

3:38 PM  
Blogger Maya's Granny said...

I have always admired Carter. He is a good man who has always done his best to live a good life and he makes a positive difference in the lives of others.

10:45 PM  
Blogger Suzie Q said...

I am so impressed - firstly with you for having the courage of your convictions, and actually writing & sending the letter, and secondly that you got such a great reply!

Well done you, and keep shouting! :D

10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I've written to Carter too...but I only got back a typed letter. I can't remember what it said. I'll have to dig it out.

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW, Ginnie! HOW neat! I always liked Jimmy Carter and I like him even more now....to think he took the time to write that. I can understand you treasuring that piece of paper.
And bravo to you for letting your voice be heard!

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home