Saturday, May 15, 2021

THEGOODOLDAYS.....LIDDLELAMZYDIVEY

 I had a musical awakening a few days ago. I realized that I haven’t really given the music of today a chance. My main complaint has been that I can't understand the words and it wasn't until I decided to compare it to the songs of my youth that the truth came out.

I decided to prove my theory about the “better music days” and this is just a small sampling of the songs that I remember from way back then. I had (conveniently) forgotten that the words could be pretty garbled up back then too. Here are just a few examples:

1.) “Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey, a kiddley divey too, wouldn’t you? If the words sound queer and funny to your ear, a little bit jumbled and jivey, sing …mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy.”

2.) “Oh, the flat foot floogie with a floy, floy…..yeah, yeah, yeah, byah, oh, baby! ….flat foot floogie with a floy, floy, ….floy, floy, floy, yeah! Send me on out there!”


And of course we can’t forget this classic by the Andrews Sisters:

3.) “Hut-Sut Rawlson on the rillerah and a brawla, brawla sooit……..Now the Rawlson is a Swedish town, the rillerah is a stream, the brawla is the boy & girl, the Hut-Sut is their dream. Hut-Sut Rawlson on the rillerah,… etc., etc. ”

nuff said…I guess you get the idea!









6 Comments:

Blogger Linda P. said...

I would add the Kingsmen's version of "Louie, Louie" from 1963, when I was thirteen, not because the verse-chorus tale of a Jamaican sailor were so nonsensical. It was because we teens couldn't understand the lyrics as sung by the usually wonderful Kingsmen. Many imagined obscene lyrics. Radio stations solicited phone numbers and addresses of listeners who wanted to be sent the "real" lyrics. The FBI supposedly investigated the Kingsmen.

4:41 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Yes it is true but at least the old days songs didn't sprinkle their songs with 4 letter words--or did they?

6:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Yeah, there were songs like that, but overall, we at least had a chance back then. It's almost hopeless for me now.

6:01 AM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

Great point! Sadly, I only know the first of those you mentioned.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Joared said...

I went to great lengths as a child to learn the "Mairzy Doats" lyrics, feeling quite proud of myself when I succeeded. Wasn't until several years later I discovered how much simpler the words were with "Mares eat oats", etc. I didn't really care for most other novelty tunes nor a lot of the lyrics, so-called melodies and instrumentation today.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Bunnyhunny said...

Oh, my! My Mother used to sing us Mairzy Doats & I loved it. I often sing it now and it reminds me of the joy & love of my Mother. That song is sweet & so innocent.

10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home