Saturday, December 19, 2020

Does anyone among today's Republican sycophants have the guts to be our Joseph Welch ???


In 1954 Senator Joseph McCarthy and his hatchet man Roy Cohn were on TV. It was the 30th day of the Army-McCarthy hearings where the despicable McCarthy was shouting to the hills that he was out to “rid our country of Communism”.


Joseph Welch, Chief Counsel for the Army challenged Roy Cohn to provide U.S. Attorney General Herbert Brownell Jr. with McCarthy's list of the 130 subversives in defense plants and McCarthy counters the request by accusing a young lawyer in Welch's own Boston law office as belonging to the National Lawyers Guild which he claimed was “the legal mouthpiece of the Communist Party.”

It was a turning point in the proceedings and I still get chills as I remember Mr. Welch holding his head in dismay and then quietly voicing these words:


Until this moment, Senator, I think I have never really gauged your cruelty or your recklessness. Fred Fisher is a young man who went to the Harvard Law School and came into my firm and is starting what looks to be a brilliant career with us....Little did I dream you could be so reckless and so cruel as to do an injury to that lad. It is true he is still with Hale and Dorr. It is true that he will continue to be with Hale and Dorr. It is, I regret to say, equally true that I fear he shall always bear a scar needlessly inflicted by you. If it were in my power to forgive you for your reckless cruelty I would do so. I like to think I am a gentleman, but your forgiveness will have to come from someone other than me.”


When McCarthy tried to renew his attack, Welch interrupted him and uttered these words,
“Senator, may we not drop this? ... Let us not assassinate this lad further, Senator. You've done enough.  Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?”  

It was the beginning of the end for McCarthy but his untruths and hatred had already ruined the lives of countless American citizens and it's no surprise that his trusted legal advice came from the equally corrupt Roy Cohn. (Yes, the same man who befriended and advised Trump... the same one that Trump has been known to say, "Where is my Roy Cohn when I need him?)

Is there no one with the GUTS to be our Joseph Welch ?


3 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I am not sure whether most of the party loves him or whether they are scared witless.

4:52 AM  
Blogger Joared said...

Most of those who ceased to support him, simply cut and ran.

2:56 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Very few and I hope they create a replacement party for the Republican fiasco

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home