Saturday, May 23, 2020

In memory of John

I lost a good friend recently. At my age I guess that shouldn't be a surprise but it always is. John and his wife Sue came to Pinehurst in the 80s and in 1989 Sue became my first sponsor in the AA program. Both she and my husband Dick passed away the next year … just months apart.
That was a rough time but John's wisdom and faith in the healing powers of AA helped immensely. We have been good platonic friends since then. He was never shy about his AA journey and helped so many of us. We simply followed his lead. John would often refer to his years before sobriety to make a point and it became apparent that he had been the owner of a very successful Nursery business in Connecticut before moving to our area.
One day in 2018 John mentioned that he was sad to see that the cartoonist Mort Walker, known for his comic strips (Beetle Bailey in 1950 and Hi and Lois in 1954) had died.  John went on to tell me that Mort  had been a good customer of his Nursery and when he heard that John and Sue were moving South Mort designed a cartoon as a going away tribute. 
John had just turned 91 when he passed away. Neither he nor Mort will soon be forgotten and I end my tribute to John with Mort's cartoon.  


Rest in peace you guys !


6 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Yet another brush with celebrity on your part, albeit at a distance. I remember both of those comics.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

A wonderful tribute Ginny.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

It's always sad to lose a good friend and John was indeed a dear and speal one to you, Ginnie. My condolences on his passing.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Oops, got an error on that one. Will try again. I am so sorry for the loss of your longtime friend. It seems you were both lucky to have had eachother to lean on.
That was quite a special send off from Mort. I'm sure he treasured it.

10:05 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Catching up after a tough couple of years. Glad to see your still trukin...ray

7:06 AM  
Blogger Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

From my friend Jan:

It is hard to lose old friends - but as we grow older - well...
So we have to be grateful we had them as good friends while they were here.
We can only hope that we can be as helpful to others as they were to us.

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home