Saturday, April 11, 2020

Still Breathing ...

Today I start my 5th week of self isolation. It is not easy, but attacking all those small household projects that I never seemed to have time for prior to the pandemic has helped a lot. I try to do one every day. It keeps me busy and there are other benefits too. I find useful things that have been stored away for years. The item pictured here is a good example:


It is an incentive spirometer and is used to help open the airways. I had completely forgotten I had this and, after I thoroughly cleaned it I decided to test myself. I put my lips around the flexible tube and took a long, slow & deep breath in. As I did so the piston inside the large column moved up registering my lung capacity. I was surprised to see that I could barely get it to the 1000 mark. This really annoyed me but it scared me too. I realized that I did not have the lung capacity that I had just 4 years ago. It was a wake up call for me to take some action.

I decided to put the spirometer in the one place where I couldn’t help but see it …
right here on my desk, next to my computer ! Now I use it as often as I can every day. There is a little arrow attached to the big tube and I can set it to the number that I’ve reached. This is my reminder of how high I have been able to raise the piston with my breaths and I strive each time to get it a little higher.

I’m happy to report that I can see real progress in the t
hree weeks that I’ve been using this and I plan to keep on doing it. (I’m over the 1500 mark and hope to get even higher !)

 

6 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

what has enhanced your capacity, just continued trying?

12:31 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Interesting and congrats on the progress. I was wondering if it would be helpful for my COPD but I guess the jury is out on that. Have a blessed Easter.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Regina M. said...

Pleased to hear you've improved. Easter greetings! hugs.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Linda P. said...

Great job increasing your lung capacity! In this environment, anything that we do that can increase our health or stamina makes us feel as if we have just a little more control during a time we feel as if we have no control at all.

7:26 PM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

We have several of these all sitting clean and ready. I think I will bring one out for each of us just to see how we are doing. We are certainly less active. We realized we were doing too much sitting so we started moving more. Thanks for the idea.

5:52 AM  
Blogger Joared said...

Glad you’ve been able to increase your lung capacity re-discovering your spirometer has prompted you to do. I think I have one here that was my husband’s. I may see if I can locate it to see what my current capacity is.

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home