Saturday, February 01, 2020

AA ... the journey

I have been blogging since 2006 and I still find it a fun and satisfying exercise. I don't usually  continue on one theme for two or three posts but I am making an  exception here. As you read in my last entry I have experienced a sober life with the aid of the AA program for more than 30 years and it touched me as I read your favorable comments. In this entry I will share what one of you wrote and then the 3rd and final post will concentrate on my own AA story.

One reader mentioned how it was affecting her life and that a family member had just picked up a 2 month chip.  He was starting on the sober journey in the rooms of AA and I pray that he continues. It's not an easy path but the rewards are second to none and I can assure him that every AA member in the room is cheering him on.
I thought of him last night as I attended my weekly AA Home Group meeting. In that room we had approximately 35 members … people that would not normally mix ...from “newbies” of just a few months to our oldest member … a 91 year old with 48 years of continual sobriety.

AA is like nothing I've ever experienced before. We have traditions and 12 Steps to aid us but there is no dogma and we keep no statistics. Our doors are open to all in need and there is no charge to attend. Our members simply put in what they can when the basket is passed. If we are criticized we readily admit that there are other ways that people find sobriety and we wish them well.  But AA has worked for me and for that I am eternally grateful.  



5 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You’re very impressive. I can’t even quite Coke — the kind you drink. 😇

1:50 PM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

I know a number of people who have changed their lives through the support of AA . Such great work quietly done!

5:10 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Congrats big time on the 30 years and I am so glad you have a group that gives you support. I was once helped by that wonderful organization. My father was quite sick from alcohol and I went to the AA office to see what I could do to make his recovery easier. They not only helped me in that respect but made me realize that I too had a problem. Kind of sorry that I didn't attend the meetings but did manage to quit drinking and Dad was sober his last years. I realize now with my Cancer support group just how important "support" is.

8:00 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

I have never known anyone who was a member, although I knew a few who out to have joined. I applaud you, Ginnie, for joining and sticking with the program!

4:46 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thus program certainty is a lifesaver to many. I once dated a man who went to the meetings and even attended a couple with him before we broke up for various reasons

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home